Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
purchased this boat in mid summer....Original owner had engine offset so he could fit kicker in..boat leans to that side when in water....was told this is dangerous and engine should be centered and to trim the transom so kicker will fit.....what are your thoughts?? it is easy enough to do so I figured I will get some Ideas beforehand! here is a picture of rear of boat with engines off set

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
I have never seen anyone do that, but all signs point to that being a bad move IMO..(Which is probably why you never see anyone do it... I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that would throw of the hydrodynamics of the entire vessel.. Might get a little hairy in a sharp starboard turn, especially if you're alone...

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Wow are you allowed to trim a transom for that? I'm not a boat expert by no means, but can you seriously trim one? That sounded like bad ju-ju to me. Anyone care to chime in?:confused:

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
Personally I'd never mount an engine off center. I can see some bad effects from it. What is wrong with having the main mill mounted dead center and just a kicker bracket off to the side ? That way when you're at speed with the main motor it will handle fine. When you're using the kicker you're not going to be at speed and there shouldn't be any handling/safety issues.

Just my .02

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The main engine was off set when I bought the boat.....I do not want that....that was my first thinking also....I have already now moved and centered the engine where it belongs.....I have the rod (engine) connector that hooks on the front of both engines so when you steer one...you steer them both....A handle comes (that controls both engines) comes up like a tiller handle....either fisherman can steer the boat as the handle come straight in off the main engine....if you look carefully at the Main engine(johnson) you can see the handle.......this is why I wanted to keep the kicker in line with the main engine...instead of set back off a plate!

After talking to Carls boat (he recommended the trimming) I peeled back the trim aluminum on top of transom where it curls up.......The main transom is one solid piece of wood that continues all the way across.....where it curls up, it is just a seperate piece of filler wood sitting on top of the main transom!! BY MY TRIMMING...i WILL NOT TOUCH MAIN TRANSOM WOOD !! Just the floating filler wood and aluminum shell !! This was a relief to see...so should be no problem to just widen the opening enough to make room for the kicker!

·
Mr. Flatfish
7,736 Posts
Bet the guy who owned the boat before had a toilet paper oil filter in his car and drank a six pack going out and one coming back in... What a set-up!!!!!
I'm sure he wondered why he got such lousy performance out of the rig... Wonder if he "worked" the rear axle on his car so that only one wheel turned, to save gas...

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
frenchriver1 said:
Bet the guy who owned the boat before had a toilet paper oil filter in his car and drank a six pack going out and one coming back in... What a set-up!!!!!
I'm sure he wondered why he got such lousy performance out of the rig... Wonder if he "worked" the rear axle on his car so that only one wheel turned, to save gas...

..........:hide::tsk:

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Maybe seriously this guy ran both engines at plane like he had twins on it.... :chillin:

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll tell you one thing...the man is one of the elder river rats and knows more about the river and the walleye than a lot of us young ones!!

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
Thats very possible but off loading a transom is not in the best interest of structual integrity.this is why main engines are mounted in the middle .But you are right that I never should use the word stupid ,that is wrong.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just to let French River & other critics know, the boat was purchased new in mid 80's from Lockman's Hdw. on lower west side( still in business). He said he set up hundreds of these boats for hand lining with a 35 hp (max) & a 6 hp kicker on left side. The boat has side steering and served me well for 17+ years running from Alter Rd. to Ren Cen & back sometimes 7 days a week (I now take Sundays off). There are still dozens of these boats, rigged this way still fishing daily on the river. The secret was to not over power main engine, never had a problem with boat leaning or control. Just my opinion & thousands of walleyes later, my $.02. WW

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
Well I stand corrected,cannot argue with success.I have always hand lined the rivers myself and just never rigged my vessel like that. But I should never assume that there is not a better idea.I use a small kicker for vertical jigging ,along with a electric motor for control.And I dont hand line as much anymore.also whip alot for walleyes along side the edison plant.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I suggest that you sell that "dangerous" kicker motor and then place the main powerplant in its proper location. This way if there was an accident your insurance will cover any losses. Just think if the boat flips at high speed and the insurance takes one look at the rigging...... JMHO

Ps. I give you Fitty Dolla for your kicker motor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts