Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does this product hold up over the years of use? Been thinking about purchasing one but they are pretty expensive. Give me your pros and cons thanks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a few of their coolers and 2 of their bait buckets. The coolers are in my opinion great! They do what coolers need to do. The buckles that keep the lid secure seem to hold up pretty well, and they are easy to clean when the day is over. The bait cooler is the same product as the regular coolers, but they have a hole and a little clip on the side for the bubbler. The feature that I like most is the way they designed the net on the inside to get your minnows. It makes it real easy to pick out your favorite minnow to put on the line, and at the end of the day you can see how many you have left to see if you are running low instead of trying to count them when they are swimming around. I have dropped the bait cooler on many occasions and so have my kids. They are easy to carry and you can set your Buddy Heater on it to get it off the ice, or it can double as a makeshift seat. I should of bought this one first instead of the cheaper ones. Make the purchases once and forget about the other ones. I would change out the bubbler though, it is pretty loud and annoying. I can not remember the bubbler I ended up buying, but it had good reviews and you can plug it it to a 12v outlet. The one I did purchase takes "D cell" batteries if that helps. Overall I would purchase another one if this one did take a crap.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I love mine!. I purposely bought the live bait cooler without the bubbler, since I wanted to use my "Quite Bubbles". I don't use the strap for the cooler, so I like to keep a small net on the side. Most of the time I prefer to do that instead of using the one that comes with the cooler (just my preference). One more thing, in the summer I keep the cooler in my small fridge in the garage and the 13Qts fits perfectly. It is easier sometimes to get bait the night before...
IMG_4222.jpg

IMG_1750.jpg

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I just picked up the 13qt. Cant really add too much to what has been said

I have only used it once last Sat.

Just a few observations

I do find it a little heavy full with water and dragging it out on the ice. Next time I think I will pour some of the water out before hitting the ice to lighten it up and add water when I get to where I am fishing, I dont know. Kind of wish I got the smaller one

Anyway I think I am going to use an aquarium pump I have when its in the cabin instead of using the pump that comes with it. Its kind of noisy in the cabin. I did run it on the 12 v adapter since I have a 12v power supply in the cabin with a cig lighter outlet.

I had a lot of bait left over from fishing I should have just kept it in the cooler and brought it home with me. I will next time.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Can anyone give a review of the similar Frabil bait cooler ?
I've been going to buy one or the other, but can't decide. Prices are similar.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I have read complaints that the hinges break. Saw no complaints like that on the Engel. This is second hand knowledge

·
Registered
213 Posts
Can anyone give a review of the similar Frabil bait cooler ?
I've been going to buy one or the other, but can't decide. Prices are similar.
I have the Fabril and it works fine, going on about 4 seasons but I don’t abuse my stuff. The pump is noisy but only use it for transport then change out water a few times a trip, I use a 2 gallon water cooler more often with the spigot on bottom to drain then add water from lake during the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
375 Posts
I just picked up the 13qt. Cant really add too much to what has been said

I have only used it once last Sat.

Just a few observations

I do find it a little heavy full with water and dragging it out on the ice. Next time I think I will pour some of the water out before hitting the ice to lighten it up and add water when I get to where I am fishing, I dont know. Kind of wish I got the smaller one

Anyway I think I am going to use an aquarium pump I have when its in the cabin instead of using the pump that comes with it. Its kind of noisy in the cabin. I did run it on the 12 v adapter since I have a 12v power supply in the cabin with a cig lighter outlet.

I had a lot of bait left over from fishing I should have just kept it in the cooler and brought it home with me. I will next time.
The weight is the only drawback I found as well. I started keeping a 1 quart ish Styrofoam bait cooler in the shanty as well with a couple minnows in it. Made it a lot easier to take it with me when I get a flag or checking tip ups. Engel stays on the snowmobile or in shanty now...

Sent from my SM-N975U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Super Moderator
35,245 Posts
First use of my Engel the minnows died before I got to the launch. It was April so no good reason for that aside from residue in the cooler that didn't rinse out or bad minnows. Haven't used it since. 2 years now I think its been sitting in the basement. Maybe this year is the year...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Have had the larger Engel bait cooler for approx. 10 years. Only cons are the loud bubbler that quits after 2 years & D battery cost. Fact they put hole in side vs lid so water makes way to pump motor if not careful. Note- smaller 7.5 unit they changed design with hole in lid now.
Smaller unit has same loud pump that doesn't last. For price they should upgrade these pumps.
I have switched to these small, chargable & whisper quiet- Kedsum led rechargable single hose pumps.
Other members above list my views/ ideas used.
Use on kayak with ice for sippies as well on no motor areas fishing.
In short there great minus the pump!
I also use the Aerobait blue bucket which is great except pump feature, I don't use. For long bumpy trips on Bay it can be put in 5 gallon bucket with frabill tip ups on/ under it.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Once again guys thanks for all the input. I bought the small one and used it over the weekend. What I did was put my minnows in a 5 gallon bucket and used the pump in there. Then used the cooler to transport and use out on the ice didn't want to listen to that pump all day. The only problem is that noisy pump.

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
First use of my Engel the minnows died before I got to the launch. It was April so no good reason for that aside from residue in the cooler that didn't rinse out or bad minnows. Haven't used it since. 2 years now I think its been sitting in the basement. Maybe this year is the year...
How much will you take for it?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have had the larger Engel bait cooler for approx. 10 years. Only cons are the loud bubbler that quits after 2 years & D battery cost. Fact they put hole in side vs lid so water makes way to pump motor if not careful. Note- smaller 7.5 unit they changed design with hole in lid now.
Smaller unit has same loud pump that doesn't last. For price they should upgrade these pumps.
I have switched to these small, chargable & whisper quiet- Kedsum led rechargable single hose pumps.
Other members above list my views/ ideas used.
Use on kayak with ice for sippies as well on no motor areas fishing.
In short there great minus the pump!
I also use the Aerobait blue bucket which is great except pump feature, I don't use. For long bumpy trips on Bay it can be put in 5 gallon bucket with frabill tip ups on/ under it.
Hey thanks for the tip on the Kedsum Pump I went ahead and bought one and your spot on I can't even hear it run. My question is how long does the charge last I used it one weekend ran for at least 36 hrs.and still has a power?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts