Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a source to buy Endura Kura Clover (not part of a mix). I need roughly 10 lbs. So far I have found a source for Cossack Kura Clover, but not the Endura variety. Has anyone purchased this?
:confused:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just bought some from them last week and the price is good but it is a .75 charge for taking less than 20 lbs. But it does come with the innoculant. So not to bad.
Cary

·
Registered
817 Posts
I planted Kura Clover last year and like they say, it is slow in starting. Hoping that it takes off this year. The idea of having a food plot that last for decades is very appealing. It means that I can take care of more acreage by not having to replant every year or two. I bought my seed from Albert Lea in Minnesota and mixed it 50/50 with Birdsfoot Trefoil since they are both small seeds, slow starting and long lived. I did have to put on the inoculant myself and not sure I did it the best way however, clover did come up but patchy. This year will be the true test. Also, what did come up, the deer hit it hard. This year I plan to spray a grass herbicide to keep down competition and top dress with seed left over from last year. Give an update every now and then on your progress, I would like to benefit from what you learn so we all can make this work. Lew

·
Registered
370 Posts
A friend of mine planted a pure stand of kura clover. The deer hammer it to the point of killing off the kura. He had too replant using some type of blend. I planted qdms ultimate blend mix 3yrs ago. It has grown great the 1st 2 years. This being its 3rd growing season Im looking for the kura to start taking over the plot. Hopfully the kura will slowly dominate the plot for years to come. Kura being a slow starter needs a nurse crop its 1st couple of years.

G

·
There are several types of Kura clover, with Endura being the most aggressive as an initial seeding and the most aggresive in production. However Endura produces little seed, plus subject to seedless years, which makes it the most expensive Kura. Russia has records of Kura living to over 100 years. There is no clover that has it's 83% digestibility, sweetness and standability, (once it gets established) which encourages deer to hammer it.

There is no more original Endura available that I know of. There is Endura III, a hybrid, available. It has the same qualities as the orginal Endura and does grow more seed but not an impressive amount more. Unless the seed production problem is corrected, not sure what the future will be on Endura.

Note; don't expect to buy it, unless you get lucky. I hear that there is only 300 lbs of the stuff left in the entire US. I do not know where it has been shippped to. Other than the 300 lbs, the Mid Michigan Branch QDMA bought the remainder for its Ultimate blend.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for weighing in. I did follow up with the Welter Seed Company (IA) and the Albert Lea Seed House (MN). Welter carries the Cossack variety of Kura and Albert Lea says their Kura seeds are "VNS" (variety not stated). I guess I'll go with the Cossack, mix in some birdsfoot treefoil and maybe some alfalfa. We'll see what happens this fall.

·
Registered
81 Posts
jpfoodplotter said:
Thank you all for weighing in. I did follow up with the Welter Seed Company (IA) and the Albert Lea Seed House (MN). Welter carries the Cossack variety of Kura and Albert Lea says their Kura seeds are "VNS" (variety not stated). I guess I'll go with the Cossack, mix in some birdsfoot treefoil and maybe some alfalfa. We'll see what happens this fall.
Welter has Endura Kura, I bought some and it was just delievered yesterday (Thursday). It was $6.50 lb. this includes the innoculant. This was for Endura.
From Welter Seed and Honey Co.
Onslow, Ia.
800-728-8450

·
Registered
664 Posts
Trelay Seed company in WI has Kura clover listed for $7lb. I dont know how much you would need to buy. It list Kura as a public variety.
I do know they will do blends in 50lb bags and have about anything you might want.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts