Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

· Registered
7,792 Posts
Good job!

I ended with just over 50 birds(not counting lawn darts) and limited every trip but 1.

Can't remember the exact breakdown on species but:
Mallard
GW Teal
BW Teal
Widgeon
Gadwall
Pintail
Woodduck
Shoveler
Ruddy
Greater Scaup
Lesser Scaup
Bufflehead
Goldeneye
Redhead
Scoter
Canadians

I was suprised, no can's, no ring necks and no blacks. Probably should have bagged my 3 missing species, but some got hall passes on the days we were trying limits consisting of only Drake Goldeneye's and Drake Greater Scaup :lol:

· Premium Member
5,603 Posts
Way to Go Kid! - the season's not over though! let's see you add some geese to that number!! ;)

and Caddis... Ugh! what a crushing blow!! (I'd expect CANADIANS from Just Ducky!) :lol:

· Registered
1,584 Posts
Since I'm somewhat new to the waterfowling game, which species are you referring to as "lawn darts" I know most of the other slang names, but can't figure that one out, I'm guess Mergs, but thats strictly a guess???

· Registered
1,534 Posts
gregm- your right they are mergs.

glad to hear everyone did good... I on the other hand only shot 4 canadas, a greenhead, and a woody. this had to be my worst season since i started 4 years ago when i was 12. I hunted more this year then i did last year. i probably hunted everyweekend, and probably 3-4 weekdays. congrats to everyone who did well. everyone have a merry christmas and happy new year!

DB808

· Registered
1,476 Posts
I got a few, missed a few and had a great time. ;) I do need to get a few more geese. They don't last long, when you make goose wraps with them. :D I have people asking me "Got anymore goose??" I made goose wrap junkies out of them also... :lol: Looks like I'm going to have to do some scouting after the first and try to connect on a few.

KEvlar

· Registered
7,792 Posts
Hey at least I only shot a few "Canadians", Ole Duck buster shot the whole country of Canada a few times :lol:

So is it more politically correct to say "I shot a few Interior Canadian Geese " ;)

Since everthing is iced up right now I've moved on to ditch parrots for the moment anyway :) Especially after my opening morning invite to Bret didn't get returned with an invite to his super secret Jan 1st guarenteed mallard limit spot :whistle:

· Registered
180 Posts
this was by far my worst year. i am going to school now though so i didnt take any of the hunting trips i would have liked to. and i didnt get out as much as i usually do. i did end up with 16 ducks and 4 canada's. so for how much i went out it wasnt terrible.
It's not over now though time to go hammers some more geese.

· Premium Member
5,603 Posts
sprigdog said:
One of the sponsors offers Canadian hunts, I always wondered who would be more sporty the Ontario citizens or the manitoba guys :lol:

The Albertans are known to have more body mass than the martime canadians. those in quebec are quite sporting as you only see them running away (obscure French/french army reference!) :lol:

· Registered
219 Posts
Sounds like everybody did pretty good. Me and my dad got eight ducks a peice but our hunting was a little limited this year. My favorite part of this year was the two firsts I had. I got my first pintail and my first woodduck. They were both drakes and the woodduck was definately one of the coolest looking ducks I have seen. Between the two of us we got mallard,s woodducks, teal, pintails, and shovelers. There was also a couple coots but Im not sure they count lol. It was a fun year.:)

· Registered
1,063 Posts
I keep a waterfowl journal and tally the total but not individual numbers. These totals mainly include Bogey and myself but also Bite Me Too and my brother....

Regular Duck Season
Days Hunted: 21
Total Ducks: 214
Daily Average: 10.19

Total Geese: 5

Total Banded Birds
Ducks: 7
Geese: 1

Specie Total Did a quick count.....
Mallard 129
Redhead 26
Blacks 14
Bluebill 10
Woodies 6
Ruddys 6
Bufflehead 4
Widgeon 3
Teal 3
Scoter 2
Cans 2
Gadwall 2
Shoveller 2
Goldeneye 2
Pintail 2
Ringbill 1

· Registered
1,679 Posts
This year was a good one for me other that blowing up my barrell on opening day then trying to learn how to use a pump. Really didnt learn how to use it.

Try going from only shooting a semi to learn how to pump. I was better off with a single shot:lol: Damn thing never seemed to fire, I was pulling the trigger as fast as I was swinging but nothing ...OH YA got to rack the shells.

Finally got a new barrell the weekend before the season ended!

Bring on them honkers!!!:cool:

Canadians - 5.5(Sully_1232 and I didnt give the guy a chance, dont know who hit him first but was hit at least 3 times before he hit the water :lol: )
Mallards - 9(1 Suzie) - 1 limited out morning
Woodie - 1
Fish Duck - 1(Good training for the dog ;) )

· Registered
1,476 Posts
Trippin,

I also kept a waterfowl journal this year. Although I must admit my last entry was Nov 18, so it only about 95% complete. I missed logging a few hunts after Nov 18 but only a couple.

I see you guys got 26 redheads, yep I remember one season exactly half our birds for the season tally were redheads. That was a couple years ago, but there is always a healthy population of heads around our area. You can count on a few per hunt, nice sporty little bird. I don't mind killing them. :D

Geese: Hunted 18 Hunts - Sept 1 - Oct 11.
118 Geese 6.5 average per hunt

Ducks: Hunted 30.5 Hunts
342 Ducks 11.4 bird average per hunt

I hunted with 3 different crews this year. Some hunts it was just me and another guy, other hunts we had 7 guys in the field. I can't take personal credit for ALL of these birds. Some guys I hunt with took me on some great hunts and vice versa. I hunt with some guys that also know what they are doing.. :p

Some hunts we shot 1 birds and had a great time, ;) others we shot 6 man limits and had just as good of a time. I don't need numbers of birds to make me a happy man, give me a little pothole, good company and watch a good retriever work..... Thats what its about. I was just fortunate that even the back up plans were great.

Kevlar

· Registered
13,974 Posts
Kind of surprised that no one has said it yet, and no offense towards anyone, but who the heck cares what your numbers were? This ain't a numbers game...at least it isn't for me anymore. I had a bit less time to hunt this year for a number of reasons, so my take was down a bit too. But I had some real good hunts, and hunted with a few new partners (some from this site). So all in all....an OUTSTANDING year once again. Already planning and looking forward to next year. Oh did I mention...I'm looking for a new boat? :evil:

And responding to Branta.....the only "Canadian" that you'll hear me talking about is made by Molson :evilsmile

· Registered
69 Posts
Check out ducklog.com if you wanna keep good track of numbers. Its free and you can view different graphs showing things like weather/hunting success - and my favorite, shots per kill. I didnt enter this years numbers ( 1 mallard). I should have for geese though. Everyone I hunt with knows, If there was shooting - I got at least one down! :lol:

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.