Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well deer season is over now, what other hobbies does everyone have during the "off" season. Ice fishing? Small game hunting? Beer (lol)? What does everyone do during the winter lull?

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I spend more time on deer hunting activities during the off season than I do in season. Habitat work is my main hobby, but I'm an avid fisherman and small game hunter as well.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Already been out small game hunting once so far. Will go out a few more times, will also try coyote hunting for the first time. Other than that For the next 4 1/2 months I'll be studying and exploring da great UP!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
coyote hunting and trapping for this guy, well until Lake erie firms up. Then its walleye till may

·
Premium Member
15,960 Posts
Call making

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Well deer season is over now, what other hobbies does everyone have during the "off" season. Ice fishing? Small game hunting? Beer (lol)? What does everyone do during the winter lull?

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire
In order of priority...

1. Ice fishing
2. Scouting and prep work
3. Spring turkey hunting
4. Homebrewing
5. Other life responsibilities

I think i'm going to take up small game, waterfowl, and upland bird hunting too. I had some really excellent grouse, woodcock, and canadian goose over the holidays.

The more I hunt the more I enjoy providing meat from game animals for my family to enjoy. You just can't beat knowing when and how it was killed and the time outdoors.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
2015 season just began. I hiked into a few spots this weekend that I want to hunt next year. I plan to put a heck of a lot more time into scouting this year and build several ground blinds as well.

·
Registered
14,632 Posts
Been on a fitness craze for the past five months - primary focus this winter is to keep making progress. Currently lifting weights 3 times/week, playing basketball 2 times/week, walking a minimum of a mile each day, and keeping calories under 2,000/day.

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Main winter hobbies use to be snowmobiling and shed hunting. Ended up selling the sled prior to last winter (BRILLIANT!!! :rant:) so that leaves me with a lot more free weekends.

Did a lot of unproductive shed hunting around home last winter and will likely do the same this year. Maybe this year will be the year it starts to pay off.... I also like to get up to our place here and there and check things out. Last year wasn't a great year for that with all the snow we had but usually I will do some walking/scouting at least once or twice in the winter and then we do a big walk at the end of the winter to scout and shed hunt once the snow retreats. All year long I am putting together lists of projects, habitat work, food plot plans, etc for our property and that certainly doesn't end in the winter. This is a great time to review all my notes from the season and put together a plan of attack for this offseason.

With no snowmobile to pass my time I have contemplated getting back into ice fishing a bit. My dad and uncle spend all winter fishing so just about any weekend I wanted to I could head out with them. My son seemed mildly interested in it so we'll see where that leads this winter.

·
Registered
14,632 Posts
Did a lot of unproductive shed hunting around home last winter and will likely do the same this year. Maybe this year will be the year it starts to pay off.... I also like to get up to our place here and there and check things out. .
Would be fun to be in an area where buck survival is high enough that shed hunting has some potential for success. Has the feel of looking for a needle in a haystack in most of the places we hunt.

·
Registered
9,321 Posts
Trying to stay active and working...Since I've barely put in 40 hrs a week for the last 3 months because of this hunting thing, this is the time of year I step on the overtime pedal. Habitat stuff of course and watching my 2 high school son's play basketball and baseball...Then counting the days down till Oct 1.

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
Would be fun to be in an area where buck survival is high enough that shed hunting has some potential for success. Has the feel of looking for a needle in a haystack in most of the places we hunt.
Yeah, shed hunting on our hunting property can be a pretty futile effort. We have a decent survival rate in our area (compared to many areas at least) but our particular property isn't all that much of a destination for bucks during the shedding season. Our plots are pretty cleaned out by the time most bucks will shed and they have moved on to other parts of the neighborhood chasing those prime food sources. We have a "neighbor" (i use quotes because he doesn't border or place, hes down the road a bit) with great land and he has found sheds the last few years without really trying, just stumbles on them.......:rant: Actually two years ago he found a shed from a buck we had a bunch of trail cam pics of from the summer and fall.

I do the majority of my shed hunting on areas closer to home. These areas don't see the pressure that our area does and I know bucks survive from year to year but finding sheds still is no easy task.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Started my work yesterday!

Some habitat work, Rabbit hunting, Ice fishing, more habitat work :lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Dang! I want to be like the majority around here. :(

My life seems pretty boring. Mostly working. Putting one son through college (just started last fall) and trying to figure out how to put the 2nd one through who's two years behind the first. Catching up around the house, and I probably aught to focus on some "honey-do" projects if you know what I mean. Other than that, looking forward to next fall.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts