Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is tomorrow. Then it's archery only for a week. Then, if we live or hunt in certain zones, it's no holds barred firearm again during muzzleloader season! LMAO. I guess they want to keep us on our toes. I'm wondering what the logic is for the one week break between firearm and muzzleloader seasons. Arbitrary dates? Some logical reasoning? Am I missing something?

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
9,320 Posts
Is tomorrow. Then it's archery only for a week. Then, if we live or hunt in certain zones, it's no holds barred firearm again during muzzleloader season! LMAO. I guess they want to keep us on our toes. I'm wondering what the logic is for the one week break between firearm and muzzleloader seasons. Arbitrary dates? Some logical reasoning? Am I missing something?

It’s not always a week buts it’s always the following Friday muzzy starts up after gun season ends. I kinda of like the week of silence. It settles the poor critter down a bit and makes for better hunting when muzzy starts up again. I miss just muzzy season instead of this charade of all weapons crap. Just doesn’t feel right. Jmo

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
just about ready to hit the road for the final shopping day/.Have a buck in the freezer , hope to fill my doe tag today. If not will be back out for muzzy season.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s not always a week buts it’s always the following Friday muzzy starts up after gun season ends. I kinda of like the week of silence. It settles the poor critter down a bit and makes for better hunting when muzzy starts up again. I miss just muzzy season instead of this charade of all weapons crap. Just doesn’t feel right. Jmo

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
I'm in Jackson County. It's still all weapons here. They want to see deer in the dirt. Lol.

·
Registered
8,206 Posts

I'm wondering why there needs to be a special season for today's modern in-line muzzy's.

·
Registered
146 Posts

Is it a bad thing to allow the habitat to calm down for a week or so? I think not. Deer are being hammered for 15 days straight. Perhaps the DNR field officers also need to take a break from investigating 24/7 during firearms season. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
I wish the break was at least a week every year. Some years the regular season ends and muzzy season opens the following day. Just depends upon when the first Friday in December is. I would actually like to see a shorter firearms season as well - like Wisconsins' 9 day season. Opens the Saturday before Thanksgiving and closes the Sunday following Thanksgiving. Isn't that long enough....with 2 full weekends?? Now we have a state legislator wanting the season to run even longer than the 16 days we already have?? Gimme (and the deer) a break.

Sorry, but I am not in favor of the any and all firearms being legal during December muzzy season either. All that is is another extended firearms season.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I wish the break was at least a week every year. Some years the regular season ends and muzzy season opens the following day. Just depends upon when the first Friday in December is. I would actually like to see a shorter firearms season as well - like Wisconsins' 9 day season. Opens the Saturday before Thanksgiving and closes the Sunday following Thanksgiving. Isn't that long enough....with 2 full weekends?? Now we have a state legislator wanting the season to run even longer than the 16 days we already have?? Gimme (and the deer) a break.

Sorry, but I am not in favor of the any and all firearms being legal during December muzzy season either. All that is is another extended firearms season.
it is all for the insurance companies !

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm wondering why there needs to be a special season for today's modern in-line muzzy's.
The muzzle loader season is not a special season for in-line muzzleloaders. Started as a special muzzleloader season & adapted with the invention of the the online. I know several friends who hunt with their old TC cap & ball rifles from the 1980's. It is a great time to hunt trying to fill a doe permit or enjoying some time in the woods waiting for a second chance at a legal buck. The buck harvest numbers are relatively small vs the rifle season numbers.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it a bad thing to allow the habitat to calm down for a week or so? I think not. Deer are being hammered for 15 days straight. Perhaps the DNR field officers also need to take a break from investigating 24/7 during firearms season. Just my opinion.
Oh I wasn't offering an opinion on good or bad. I was just curious as to why the gap exists. I'll be out with the bow tomorrow so to me, it matters not. It just forces me to pay attention to the date which is not normally something I pay attention to. Hell, I've forgotten about my birthday before.

·
Registered
8,206 Posts
The muzzle loader season is not a special season for in-line muzzleloaders. Started as a special muzzleloader season & adapted with the invention of the the online. I know several friends who hunt with their old TC cap & ball rifles from the 1980's. It is a great time to hunt trying to fill a doe permit or enjoying some time in the woods waiting for a second chance at a legal buck. The buck harvest numbers are relatively small vs the rifle season numbers.
Sorry, I forgot to use the sarcasm font with my post.

Of course the DNR created a special season for muzzy users. The whole idea was that "primitive" firearms weren't as accurate as "modern" centerfire rifles. And now, just like the morphing of archery hunting, we see some muzzle loading rifles that are deadly accurate at ranges two to three times as far as a 30-30. Call me a grumpy old fart, but is there such thing as a season for primitive weapons, or does that just make feel special?

Personally, I can't wait to get my hands on an Air Bow that can shoot out to 200 yards, and have six weeks to try out my new and improved primitive weapon!

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Likely because you could easily hit your neighbors house from 3/4's of a mile away with a missed shot. Even the hottest loads from modern in- lines drop like a rock after 250 yards.
Law is 150yds from a dwelling, so my muzzy could easily hit a house

1 - 20 of 36 Posts