Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

encouragement needed

829 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  OSXer 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have been hunting several times this season in the Kalamazoo area to no avail. I have done my homework and everyone says to go rabbit hunting in the morning on a sunny day after a snowfall. I see the tracks, I see the scat, but I never see any animals. I have no dog, just a couple fraternity brothers. Can anyone tell me any tricks?

#3 ·
Jump on every brush pile and kick every bush you walk by. You'd be suprised where you'll jump them out of.
Yep. Take turns being the dog. One guy kick stumps and jump on brush piles, the others stand ready facing in a safe direction and get ready. Rabbits sunning themselves will often sit still and let you walk right by. Stop often and abruptly and look around. This will often cause an un seen rabbit to run because they think you see them, in my opinion. Good luck.

#4 ·
A buddy of mine and I are pretty deadly at kicking up rabbits ourselves. A good pair of pants to keep the briars from poking through is often times necessary. If you aren't getting into the cover, you might be coming up short. Exact timing in the morning depends on temperature. If it's not really nasty out, right around first light isn't a bad time to start. On really cold days it's often best to wait an hour or so for the sun to come out.

FWIW, when kicking or stomping, don't really crush the cover or you won't have much in the future to kick. Just shaking the brush pile or putting a boot into a spot of grass draped over some branches is often more than enough to send a rabbit flying out of he's in there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.