Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up an Encore rifled slug gun for my wife to use for deer and also she wants it to carry in and out while walking in to her bear stand in Ontario while bowhunting . She was shooting it Sunday with the fiber optic sights with some success this past weekend . At 50 yards she is shooting OK but that is not good enough for us . If it was to be used only for deer I would have already put a scope on it but with the idea of using it for her to carry in on bear hunts I feel scope would not be good at real close range . I am unfamiliar with the red dot scopes . Would that be worth looking at for this situation ? I really feel that if she gets more use to shooting then she would be ok with the fiber optics . I was shooting it and keeping them in a 4 inch circle at 90 yards . Maybe she just needs more practice . Like she said she is a bowhunter and not a gun hunter so it could be more practice is needed . Thanks for any input !!

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
For the first three years or so after I bought my Encore I was taking my scope off and then putting it back on every other year. I couldn't decide, scope or no scope.
Some days I would still hunt or do Deer drives and in thick brush a scope was useless. The high see through mounts were not an option, don't care for them, and the quick dis connect mount, I just didn't have any confidence in them. I leave my scope on now. A fixed low power scope or the red dot scope might be good for what she needs.

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
I use a Mueller 2x7x32 shotgun scope with an illuminated reticle on my Encore and love it. That little red dot makes a huge difference when hunting in low light conditions. That scope has a circle over the crosshairs which makes it easy to get on target quickly, even at close range.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts