Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Empty Propane Tank Question

5K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  9mmruger1 
#1 ·
I was wondering what the proper way was to dispose of the small coleman propane tanks that are empty? I have some in my garage that I need to get rid of and I know that you're not supposed to throw them in the trash so....help please!!! I live in Macomb county. Where do I take them?

#2 ·
I believe you should call the local fire department..or city hall.they should be able to direct you as to the disposal..it may not be any different than if you disposed of a full can of hair spray ( not paint ) and the paint disposal might be the same place as the propane.....JMO..from past experiences..sometimes the rules change from one municipality to another and from one time to another,within the municipality.

#3 ·
not to shure if your into this but i just bought a "mac coupler" from harbor freight and am able to charge the one pounders off my 20 pounder also i save a bunch of money i think it comes out to just under a dollar a can. but if you just ant to trash them id throw them as far as you can in the neighbors yard!lol just a joke.....kinda

#5 ·
I also have the mac coupler and have been refilling the small tanks for quite a few years now. Every now and then you get one the does not seal well and has to be discarded. Have saved a lot of money on tanks over the years as I go through a lot of them over a course of a year.

Bob

#7 ·
slayer said:
How well do these couplers work with the new 20# tanks Do you need to turn the 20# tank upside down ?
They work quite well! Yes, you need to turn the #20 upside down, this allows the charge to the small (#1) tank to be filled with liquid, not gas.

If your charging/filling in this kinda weather put the #20 in the house and allow to warm up. Keep the one pounders outside or put in the fridge to cool down. It makes a difference in the amount of charge it will take! I also use a small kitchen scale to check the charge amount. ;)

If you get one (#1 tank) that leaks after you charge it you can turn it upside down and tap/bang it on a piece of wood to seat the schrader valve. I have also used a small plastic pick/punch to seat them. A tooth pick will work in a pinch, be careful not to break any of it off though. Also, if I have a tank that appears rusty around the top/valve area I pitch it, you dont wanna get any rust particals into your heater/lantern!

#8 ·
Mr. UglyStick said:
I was wondering what the proper way was to dispose of the small coleman propane tanks that are empty? I have some in my garage that I need to get rid of and I know that you're not supposed to throw them in the trash so....help please!!! I live in Macomb county. Where do I take them?
If you leave the large tanks on the curb the rubbish removal companies or city crews will not take them. Hazardous waste or something like that but if they were so hazardous then how come they sell the things. The small cans can just go in the trash.

If I put an empty one pound can in the recycle bin the crew will leave it behind. If I shoot a few holes in the one pound can there is a 50/50 chance that the empty propane can will be taken. If I drive over the empty can after shooting it several times it will end up getting taken.

So, use the empty cans as targets, put a bunch of holes in them, then run them over and make them flat. After that put them in the recycle bin.

Or, refill them yourself as others have mentioned. Or, give them to a friend that refills them.

#9 ·
If you bring a large propane tank inside to warm up, make sure you have a pound or so taken out. What can happen is. If you refill your tank in the cold at the propane store and bring it home to warm up, the liquid will expand and the tanks relief valve can leak as the propane warms . I normally fill a few small cans to empty the large tank before brining it in the house . Its also a good idea to keep on the large tank while inside the house.

#11 ·
AlmontHappycamper said:
If you do want to discard them, drill a hole in them and throw away. The hole allows them to be crushed and exposes the bare interior metal to promote corrosion/decomposition.
:yikes: I'm not sure Id want to be drilling holes in empty propane cans. Even empty there can be enough gas to ignite.

#13 ·
I have been refilling these since the early 1960s . I have found over the years that freezing the emptys makes filling them much easier. Eds right make sure your 20 or 30 pounder has some room before bringing it in to a warm room .

#14 ·
The new tanks have an OPD or Overfill Protection Device on them that will not allow to be filled over 80%. this should prevent overpressurization and allow for expasion. The same reason they wont fill your propane "pig " over 80%, to allow for expansion from radiant heat (sun) or increase in ambient.

#15 ·
KS. This it true, and the reason you need to keep an eye on one if heating it in the house. I had one release pressure. I was lucky and was around to get it outside. there is something about filling the propane in the winter and brining it in the house.

#19 ·
I fill mine cold first to get a little propane in the tank first. Then I fill a second with a warm large tank and cold small tanks. This tops off the little guys. I use my fish scale to weigh then. Doing it this way I am always one oz. over or one oz. under. good luck. you'll love it

I purchased mine from a spot RV/fishing show. Prob.10 years ago. I think I paid something like 25 bucks back then.

#25 ·
I went to my local ace HDW and told him what I wanted back in the 70's , and he built me one (coupler) in a matter of minutes. I think the parts came to $5.00 and change . I'm sure you can still buy the individual parts to build one cheaper then buying a factory made one.
OUTSIDER

#26 ·
outsider said:
I went to my local ace HDW and told him what I wanted back in the 70's , and he built me one (coupler) in a matter of minutes. I think the parts came to $5.00 and change . I'm sure you can still buy the individual parts to build one cheaper then buying a factory made one.
Yep. Still can get the parts except that it costs about $6 now:) .

I have seen the couplers at just about every sporting goods store I have been in this winter. They have them at Dunhams. Price seems to be about $10 to $12 at the store. They might not be the original MacCoupler but they will do the job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.