Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,131 Posts
Radio is a must Chad, and a first aid kit on the boat. I have the http://www.boatus.com/towing/gettowing/services.asp towing ins., so if I break down anywhere anytime, they'll tow me in for free. Only cost $72 a year, and can be reached through the ship to shore. Also you could get one of these that would be a great life saving device in an emergency situation..... http://www.epirb.com/ , I plan to have one in the future, can use it on water or ice or wilderness. Great piece of mind, especially if you go alone often.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
First thing is have your life jacket/vest on. Rule in my boat is "If the Main is on, the vest is on!" and I never store them when on the water.

Always carry an anchor and a rope long enough to keep your boat from drifting off and keep the bow pointing into the waves. For the bay I keep 150' of rope.

Make sure you know how to use your flares, nothing worse than having to read the directions when you need them.

I try to practice some situations like falling out of the boat and trying to get back in, I do have a buddy in the boat though just in case I need help.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I fished out of a 1968 Larson for years , it ran great but I always had Towboat insurance on it just in case. Last year I got a newer boat and I still get Towboat USA, its cheap insurance. This year the first thing I did before I put the boat in the water was put in a VHF radio.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
VHF Radio, fixed mount, know how to use it.
Life Jacket, wear it!
Kill switch, connect it!
Fire extinguisher, at least one. Make sure it is good.
First aid kit.

I also carry a PLB, hand held VHF, and a cell phone.

Be safe, and good fishing!

·
Premium Member
12,933 Posts
All I have is a pocket flask and a 9mm.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
My bro in law bought the tow insurance, $80 ish a year, his first trip out on the bay and the boat developed a bad spot in the shift control box, and it wouldn't start after they got out 20 miles, and needed towed. He said the tow boat would have charged $750 if he didn't have the insurance.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Always wear my life jacket, plus I have a satellite locator tied in my vest.

Kill switch is smart.

9.9 hp kicker for trolling and its big enough to get me home.

Rope, throwable, radio, jump starter and tools.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts