Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jackson County officials announced that they will begin the slaughter this Saturday. Self acclaimed "SHARP SHOOTERS" :lol: will shine and shoot antler less deer over bait after dark to reduce the herd to where the City officials feel the deer count , in their mind, should be. This is year 4 of 5 that is slated for the "bait and rape" process. I do not live in Jackson however i do work downtown. I pay city taxes every week. I just wonder what those self acclaimed "SHARP SHOOTERS" will do with the cash they were given from my paycheck.
I understand the need for thinning the herd to some degree but Jackson went about it much like Obama and the Dems did with Obama-care!:mad:

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
Does the DNR know about this? Sounds like a double set of standards to me. I would get pictures and post them for all to see. I thought hunting over bait was illegal in the LP. Make sure that you contact a CO and get their opinion of why one can hunt over bait and another cannot.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
I thought hunting over bait was illegal in the LP. Make sure that you contact a CO and get their opinion of why one can hunt over bait and another cannot.
They are not hunting, they are shooting/killing.

80 deer is nothing for that area. They should at least double that number if they really wanted to fix the problem.

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
They probably figure that by using bait they will spread so much disease that it will kill double or triple the number harvested by the sharpshooters. ;)

·
Registered
12,593 Posts
What a coincidence, we are planning our annual doe shoot that day too. I'm glad you posted this because I though it was illegal to bait also, guess it's not one day out of the year.

Let the fun begin....

·
Registered
10,158 Posts
Does the DNR know about this? Sounds like a double set of standards to me. I would get pictures and post them for all to see. I thought hunting over bait was illegal in the LP. Make sure that you contact a CO and get their opinion of why one can hunt over bait and another cannot.
The DNR has allowed baiting for culling projects in many Michigan parks.

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
I think that it was last year a guy in Gaylord was arrested because a few deer visited his bird feeders. The DNR officer called it baiting deer. I wonder if they have a special permit from the DNRE to do this. Baiting is baiting and they should not be exempt from the law. If Jackson Co can do it than everyone should be able to do it. If I lived in that area I would make sure that every news crew within 100 miles was notified and I would give the DNR an opportunity to explain or write tickets.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
They are not hunting, they are shooting/killing.

80 deer is nothing for that area. They should at least double that number if they really wanted to fix the problem.
Yep. This park is in the middle of of the city of Jackson and public hunting is not legal there so some of you people need to settle down a bit. I say don't stop at 80, try to get 'em all! For the baiting issue, the company doing the cull has to pull a permit to put bait down. Also, all the meat is going to the local area food banks to people who really need the help. Living close to the area I don't have a problem with this cull. If it was out of the city limits, I would.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Jackson County officials announced that they will begin the slaughter this Saturday. Self acclaimed "SHARP SHOOTERS" :lol: will shine and shoot antler less deer over bait after dark to reduce the herd to where the City officials feel the deer count , in their mind, should be. This is year 4 of 5 that is slated for the "bait and rape" process. I do not live in Jackson however i do work downtown. I pay city taxes every week. I just wonder what those self acclaimed "SHARP SHOOTERS" will do with the cash they were given from my paycheck.
I understand the need for thinning the herd to some degree but Jackson went about it much like Obama and the Dems did with Obama-care!:mad:
Do you know where at in jackson county this is taking place??
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sry I didn't see the post that said it was in the city. I also hunt in jackson county. I was talking with a farmer this year and sharp shooters took 200 deer last winter. Deer numbers around us this year were the lowest I've seen them since hunting there. And everyone I've talked to said the same thing. Just hope they don't go on another killing spree out there this winter. Because it is not needed.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you know where at in jackson county this is taking place??
Posted via Mobile Device
The killings will occur on the south side of the city limits in both the city owned park and golf course.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I also hunt in jackson county. I was talking with a farmer this year and sharp shooters took 200 deer last winter.
Posted via Mobile Device
Are you sure about this? The only cull I know about in greater Jackson area is/has been Ella Sharp park. I know a few others that have occurred but they aren't close to Jackson. Also if a different cull did take place in the Jackson area we all would have known about it. I have a lot of family and friends in and around the Jackson area (all hunt the area) and my neighbor is a wildlife biologist/sharpshooter who specializes in deer management (he would have known about these jobs/projects). The news would have been all over the place.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep. This park is in the middle of of the city of Jackson and public hunting is not legal there so some of you people need to settle down a bit. I say don't stop at 80, try to get 'em all! For the baiting issue, the company doing the cull has to pull a permit to put bait down. Also, all the meat is going to the local area food banks to people who really need the help. Living close to the area I don't have a problem with this cull. If it was out of the city limits, I would.
Why would you want to take all of the deer from the area? I'll bet hunters who own and hunt adjacent property to the city are pretty upset that the deer they provided for all summer, which otherwise would have returned after the winter, will now die. I agree with you that a thinning of the herd is in order BUT...
I sure hope those "SHARP SHOOTERS" :lol: distribute kevlar to the locals.

·
Registered
10,158 Posts
Are you sure about this? The only cull I know about in greater Jackson area is/has been Ella Sharp park. I know a few others that have occurred but they aren't close to Jackson. Also if a different cull did take place in the Jackson area we all would have known about it. I have a lot of family and friends in and around the Jackson area (all hunt the area) and my neighbor is a wildlife biologist/sharpshooter who specializes in deer management (he would have known about these jobs/projects). The news would have been all over the place.
That's news to me too Craig. I think I would have heard about that.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
That's news to me too Craig. I think I would have heard about that.
If this did happen, I know you would have known about it Neal.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I didn't witness it with my own eyes. Just going by what the farmer told me. But it was around the Munith area. If your neighbor is a biologist in the area he would definitely know if it took place. Where did the other ones happen that you spoke of??
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,415 Posts
Okay it it called a cull. I understand there is an overpopulation of deer in the park and they have to be baited in to be thinned out and the meat will be distributed to the needy. I also understand that they need a permit to bait the deer in and that they will be shot at night by sharpshooters who are being paid. Why not let some local bowhunters come in and do it for free without bait? Apparently this baiting permit is going to be issued by the DNRE. I have an issue here is that there is a double set of standards that the DNR or Jackson is using. If the DNR issues 500 tickets in a year for hunters culling deer and tells one group of hunters that they can use bait to cull deer is their something wrong here? Is their any possibility some desease can be spread here?

·
Registered
10,158 Posts
I think we all, as hunters would like to see hunters used and not sharpshooters, however looking through the parks eyes they have to be concerned with other issues. Wounded deer ending up in someones yard, liability, safety, logistics, PR, etc.

As far as the baiting thing goes, its a safety issue. In small parks, surrounded by neighborhoods, having the deer in a specific place while shooting make for a much safer effort.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.