Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone fish Elk Lake. I am looking at heading up Sat for some whitefish if possible. I have never fished it before and would like to get any information or help available. Would you please PM with any information

flydunker

·
Registered
740 Posts
I am also interested in the same information but havent had a chance to ask yet. I live about 20 minutes from Elk lake but have limited experience fishing it but since the G.T. Bays just wont freeze and stay frozen long enough to get on em yet I was thinking of trying Elk Lake for some whitefish. Thanx in advance.

·
-RIP-
3,670 Posts
I`ve fished elk lake in the area known as the narrows,(between skegomog and elk)...If you `re going for white-fish, after dark has been best for me,lite line and small hooks,on bottom with wigglers,salmon eggs,ect. and for a mixed bag get there in the am and possibilities increase for trout, and perch. Havent been over there yet this year,shame on me. Jacks sports shop in Kalkaska would have the skinny. This post makes me want to get out there tonight! `xcept we have been getting hammered with snow, over a foot since yesterday.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Haven't heard anything about Elk yet this season, so I wouldn't count on that ice being safe yet...please check ahead...I doubt there's very much ice at all, and now, with the more than three feet of snow we have here...we've had one blizzard after another for more than three weeks now, with only one or two reasonably clear days, the last one was last Saturday, and that only lasted half a day, then it started to snow again.

So please call ahead...and don't go out at all unless you see other folks out there.

Bellaire is frozen, but the guys are only fishing the bays, and Torch is still mostly open...:(

·
Registered
35 Posts
I stopped at Elk Lake last saturday near the narrows to check the ice. Five or so vehicels parked. Three guys coming off the ice with a mixed bag of lakers and whitefish. This was at about 5:00pm. Went back out on sunday and fished the evening and didn't get a bite. Ice was iffy in spots. They were running a snowmobile out to the whitefish spot, but we found some slushy spots where there was only 1"-2" of ice, these were near shore where there was more snow. There was 4"-7" where we fished. There is also a pressure crack running from a point on the se side of the lake northward up the lake. It is wet and slushy there. We crossed it but it was a bit scarey. After all this new snow I would be very cautious out there. Take a spud and check the ice as you go. I am going to stop on my way home tonight and see how bad the snow is. Going to try and get out tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks treetop, I would appreciate any information that you can give me. If you like we could talk via Pm. I hope to make it up on monday morning for the day.

flydunker

·
Registered
142 Posts
We did good on Elk last weekend. Some dandy whitefish in about 10' of water
on teardrops with waxworms. Jigging a large white swedish pimple seemed to bring em in, then they would hit the teardrop in the next hole. No lakers that day. The ice went from 6"+ a few hundred yards from shore to a slushy 3" near the drop off. The change was quick, always use a spud. The narrows have a lot of current, I'd be VERY careful around there right now. I would almost say it's a little early for that spot. Kewadin bay is a bit safer and is a good spot for whitefish too. Shantys have been on Kewadin bay for over a week now, saw a snowmobile at a spearing shack near the boat club yesterday. We've had a few feet of snow and it's still snowing so be careful. The snow insulates the ice so it doesn't build as fast and it's really only been iced over for about 2 weeks. Good luck and use your spud in front of you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Elk lake 2/7,2/8/04. Fished a.m and p.m. 0 fish caught and
0 fish marked on vexillar @narrows. Did o.k @skegemog on
2/8/04 midday small perch/wigglers/any small jig.

Heavy snow/slush makes getting around pretty tough. Not
as many shanties this year.Be careful around the narrows area.
There is plenty of ice but just more snow than I like on top of
the ice.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
My buddies and I are would like to try for some whitefish and lakers. Please leave a report on the ice conditions if you go. I'm real nervous when it comes to ice.

This might be a dumb question and I haven't look at the map yet but where is Kewadin bay according to Traverse City?

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Head north out of TC on 31 to Elk Rapids, turn right at the stoplight on 31 at Elk Rapids, and drive down about 5 miles to the marina on the right hand side in Kewadin. The bay is right there, you'll see it. The ice should be good and safe there, too.

I may be out there this week as well if the weather is decent (when that will be is anybody's guess), good luck, have fun.

If you're ice leery, Stelmon, we'll have to get you out on Torch sometime in early March for burbot-when conditions are right, the ice is gin-clear, and you can see fish swimming around near rocks 80 feet down through more than a foot of ice-I never get used to it, gives you a real case of vertigo...I pray for snow to cover up the view, others just do a hail-mary before walking out onto the ice... ;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
We're on Torch as of last weekend. The usual pack ice near shore and about 3" of good ice further out. Shantys at the north and south end. Fishing was slow. Torch demands more respect than the other lakes around here. Pack ice is downright dangerous and pressure cracks will be forming soon in the good ice so if you go remember to use your spud.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
:eek: :p

Not me, thanks...!

I always wait until I see a crowd out there. Torch scares me to death unless there's a whole lot of ice...I'll wait for the annual burbot shanty town, and a whole lot more cold weather.

Elk offers the same species of fish, and safer ice...;) :eek:

·
Registered
618 Posts
I would love to get some more details on the burbot fishing! My father said he would like to try it and I am eager as all get out to go try that sometime! Is it true they fish them at night as well? In 80fow? wow! too cool
Can you give me details or pm details to me? Thanks

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I live about 1-mile from Elk Lake and Skegemog. Havent been out to either one yet this year because of all the snow on them. Besides, my neighbor stops by to give me his report after fishing them and every trip he's made has resulted in poor catches.

I am interested in Kewadin for whitefish and would like to hear any details you guys are willing to give (where to park, how far out you have to walk, what depth, etc.). I love catching whitefish and burbot. Catch most of mine on East and West Bay.

PS: Linda, I read your article in MON about turkey survival in winter. I am feeding a bunch of them around the house. The snow is so deep they will starve without supplemntal feed.

Thanks,

-Northcountry

·
Registered
480 Posts
Linda G,
That was a very informative article that you wrote in MOOD. We catch quite a few burbot in Crystal lake in Benzie county incidental to fishing for lakers and last winter did well on them in East GT bay, as well. I have never targeted burgot specifically but thought it would be fun to fish for them at night just out from the "smelt villages" (assuming that anyone locates the smelt this winter). The one thing that I missed was how you attach the light sticks to your line above the bait. Would you please help me with that?
Regarding the smelt on Crystal, I haven't heard of anyone locating them in the usual locations, but the lake trout all seem to have them in their stomachs.
Thanks,
Butch

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Northcountry-do you know about our feeding program? We can help you with those birds. Get in touch with me.

Butch-for the benefit of photos, I had the light stick right above the bait, but really we put them about a foot or foot and a half up, so it catches the attention of the burbot. There's a sleeve with each stick that you feed onto the line before you tie on the leader, then you can just put in new sticks as necessary. If the fish are really biting, you can get through a night's fishing of three or four hours with just one or two sticks, but if they're being a tad finicky or there's a hundred other people out there trying for them, too, I'll put a new stick on every hour or so.

The brighter the better!!

Could you get in touch with me about Crystal? I'd really like to get down there and do some fishing for a story...in the next couple of weeks if that's feasible, and the weather lets me out of Antrim County...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
142 Posts
The best place to park is right across from the Mobil station, it's a ramp that has plenty of space to park and usually gets plowed. It's a pretty long walk due south to reach the drop off where the shantys are, probably about a half mile or so. The water is about 40' there. There is a much shorter walk from an access that's in the little nieghboorhood that's southeast of the cemetary, but there is very little parking (enough for maybe 2 cars) and it's almost always occupied. If there is a parking spot it's a nice short walk due east to the shantys.

As far as bait and tackle, perch minnows, single salmon eggs, wax worms and wigglers all work. 6lb test with tear drops, swedish pimples, elk rapids lure (looks like a sand blaster), airplane jigs, rapalas and even bare hooks (with bait) will all work. White is a traditional color. Early, late and at night are usually best but I've caught them in the middle of the day too. Jig the bottom letting the lure hit the bottom occasionally to create little puffs of sand. I'm sure you already know this but they have delicate mouths so clean the underside of your hole with your spud or you will knock them off when trying to land them. Good luck and be sure and give a report after you go.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Linda G,
I tried to PM you, your mailbox is full and your email is blocked.
Butch

1 - 20 of 25 Posts