Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister in law cleans up forclosed properties in the UP and today while cleaning a place up, found a 6x6 bull elk head (fresh) laying in the back of the yard..it doesn't look cut off..more like tore off (wolves?)
I didn't even know there were elk there..the property is near Newberry.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Chupacabra....

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Last I heard there was one bull elk in the eastern UP.

May want to contact the local CO up there and show him. They may be able to run DNA to see if it's one of our elk from the NLP or a game ranch bull.

·
Registered
35,821 Posts
Elk have been in the EUP for more than a decade. There is a lot more than one bull. The migrated from Blind River Ontario after a transplant operation.

·
Premium Member
31,001 Posts

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
What do elk eat? Is the food up there sufficient to sustain a heard along with deer and moose? Are elk indigenous to the up? I think that is so cool if its true, deer, moose, elk, bear, bobcat, Fisher, Martin, salmon, hell the up is a little Alaska!!!

Sent from my C771 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
805 Posts
I have heard of people seeing a bull elk south of Rudyard but that was about 8yrs ago or so.

·
Registered
8,396 Posts
Yes. Elk have been there for quite a while. But I've only heard of them on the extreme eastern end. Sugar island Pickford rudyard area. When I attended lssu there was a cow and a calf hanging out for awhile. While I have no concrete evidence. It sounds like they're mostly transients. Eventually they head back to Ontario.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Has one where I hunt several years ago, first year he was a spike and seen him 4-5 times, the next year he was a 5x5 and only seen him once. There was a bull in Brimley mi also this year looked like a 5x5 from the pics. There are a few of them around.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I thought the DNR should have moved some of our local elk before shooting them. An internet search showed a transplant was suggested for the western UP which seems to have gone no where. Ontario has been working on it for a while and has a couple of smallish herds in different areas.

Maybe Michigan will do something in the UP after a couple of years of wolf harvest as they were mentioned as a factor to deal with.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
The Wisconsin herd is only 45 minutes away from the West end so hopefully in a decade or so they'll be on this side too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts