Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went rabbit hunting yesterday in Evart on the state land north west of town. I saw tracks that couldn't be deer. May have been a cow that got loose out there but I didn't see any droppings typical of a cow. Anyone in the know?

·
Banned
634 Posts
freepop......It is possible that one traveled that far south but not that likely at this time of year....I would be more inclined to think that a elk ranch over that way had one or more excape and they just didnt tell authorites...I know there are a couple or elk ranches in that area just not sure where they are at exactly....I guess i would take the tracks and see if i could track it down then when your up close try to see if it has a ear tag...any way good luck in finding it....or you can turn it in to the dnr and see if they know any thing about one geting loose....take care and happy new year to all

·
Registered
562 Posts
Occassionaly they do come down, in the early 90's we had one down in Midland county in the Ausable State Forest. It was a cow and stuck around for a few years then was gone. Either died, wandered off or something.

·
Registered
26,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Couldn't do much tracking, most of the tracks were on the side of the snowmobile trails, looks like it walked down them and they were old.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
There is an elk ranch just NW of town, with lots of state land all around it. Can't remember the road names, but have seen it many times. It is not far from the ORV trail paking lot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts