Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Sundays Soo Evening News, there were two trail cam pics from the Rudyard area showing a dandy 6x6 elk. they were in different locations and a day apart. It was a monster. "rumor" has it it crossed from canada but who knows. I tried to get it off the websight but wasn't successful in finding it. if someone can log into this website and find the pics and post them here:

sooeveningnews.com

it was in Sunday Nov. 22 paper.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
In Sundays Soo Evening News, there were two trail cam pics from the Rudyard area showing a dandy 6x6 elk. they were in different locations and a day apart. It was a monster. "rumor" has it it crossed from canada but who knows. I tried to get it off the websight but wasn't successful in finding it. if someone can log into this website and find the pics and post them here:

sooeveningnews.com

it was in Sunday Nov. 22 paper.
I searched the site also.......nothing.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Is it possible for elk through the years to have crossed I-75 into Emmet county (I've heard those rumors)? If so, is it possible they would cross the ice into the UP? Farfetched perhaps.

·
Registered
65 Posts
When I was in college in the Soo, '02-'07, I heard from a butcher that there was elk near 4 mile road. He said that a cow elk had been seen in the area on a regular basis. I never saw it though, so I cannot confirm it.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Ontario has been trying to get an elk heard going. They have been releasing elk for a bit longer than 10 years. One of the sites they have a herd of about 50 animals is only about 70 miles East of Sault Ste. Marie. A little walking, a little swimming, and you have elk in Chippewa County.

http://www.northernontario.org/StuffOfLife/ElkRestoration/History.htm
That is easier to believe than seeing them cross from the lower. Have moose crossed over from that area north of the Sault? I've seen moose out on the ice offshore on the Canadian side when up there snowmobiling.

·
Banned
4,389 Posts
I didn't read the links posted. But I do recall reading a few years ago about some of canada's elk crossing over. So far, they haven't asked for them back.:lol:
ATB

·
Crazed Country Rebel
2,394 Posts
That is easier to believe than seeing them cross from the lower. Have moose crossed over from that area north of the Sault? I've seen moose out on the ice offshore on the Canadian side when up there snowmobiling.
Yes, there are moose in the EUP and wildlife biologists believe they've come over on the ice from Canada versus migrating from the 1985 Moose Drop area near Michigamme

·
Registered
265 Posts
About Elk crossing 75 into Emmett county. This is a reality. 1st week of bow, I had 2 cows come within 75 yards of my stand. I have also seen more than one cross 75 near wolverine. Many people have told me they have seen quite a few in the cross village area which is just north of where i was hunting.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
About Elk crossing 75 into Emmett county. This is a reality. 1st week of bow, I had 2 cows come within 75 yards of my stand. I have also seen more than one cross 75 near wolverine. Many people have told me they have seen quite a few in the cross village area which is just north of where i was hunting.
We are hunting just southwest of Cross Village. If you are from Harbor you probably know my brother Lyal. :D

He told me of a farmer in the area of Channel rd over by Crooked Lake that years ago ('80s) that had huge swaths of corn stomped down. Elk were seen in the area. I can believe they are over here, just not too many.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that looks like could be the same one. the ends look like the other one.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Elk in Chippewa county are a definite reality. Credible people I know have seen them as long ago as 2003 or so. Right outside of Brimley on Irish Line, as a matter of fact. Also crossing M-129 just south of the Soo.

I also know a guy who got trail cam pics of a nice bull this fall on 14 Mile near Barbeau. Saw the pics myself via email.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts