Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have been living downstate most of my adult life, I never thought much about applying for an elk permit. Now that I am less than an hours drive from Atlanta, I am thinking about applying.
Is it worth it if by some change I win the lottery drawing? Do we go with set guides or go on our own or either?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Why not? You might get lucky. Plus if you keep applying every year it becomes a weighted lottery so you have a better chance of winning.

The advice I was given was to get a guide from up there unless you really know what you're doing because if you manage to get a bull tag it's a once in a lifetime thing for michigan.

I've applied 4 years in a row now, but I'll keep doing it.

Hope this helps!

Joe

·
Banned
634 Posts
Hi guys: I would apply if i was you but if you no nothing about elk i would hire a guide because you have no choice of which area you will draw and us guides have most all the good private spots sewed up ...But i hate to burst you guys bubble but seeing we only give out from 100 to 225 tags because of the low number of elk we have and the number of hunters applying is between 44,000 and 52,000 each year your chance of drawing with a weighted lottery is no better than with the old lottery we use to have. I have a step son who i have stayed in touch with who is a professor of math at one of our larger colleges and he took the numbers and that is what he came up with. So basicly even a first timer has as much of a chance as someone with say 5 chances . any way i hope this helps take care

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will be applying. If I get it or not, still seems worth a shot. And if for some reason I do happen to win one one year, I have a very good feeling that my uncle will be back over from Iowa to 'help me' also.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I applied for 20 years. It was worth the $4 every year just for the anticipation of getting drawn. Last year I finally got lucky enough to get drawn for a bull permit.

The advice to get a guide is right on. If you get drawn for a bull permit, it is a once in a lifetime hunt, and if you pull a cow permit you can reapply after 10 years but the odds of getting drawn a second time are slim to none.

As far as worth it, just look in my photo gallery, it is absolutely worth it.:)

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
dad got one last yr and the pics of his bull are in my gallery. We hunted with an old friend of his he went to high school with who is a guide now along with his son. HIGHLY recommend them to anyone who gets a tag, i went along to video the hunt. Although we put on a LOT of miles(85 or something in 9 days), it was worth it for him to shoot this huge bull the second to last day of season! tag if you get drawn si $100 and guide depends on who you get but its worth it!

·
Registered
119 Posts
100-225 tags available and 55,000 people applying? Wow those odds stink. Non-resident Idaho tag is around $475, most units are over the counter. Colorado has a lot of non-res over the counter hunts. Just go west and actually hunt elk instead of spending many years hoping for a long shot at a Mich. tag.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Birddog but considering I live only about a hour from some good elk hunting grounds here in Michigan, Ill spend my $4 a year and try for local.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I put in for 11 years and got a bull tag for last year. It is well worth putting in for a tag. We have some of the biggest bulls in the US. I went with a guide and got a nice 6 by 6 but you dont have to. All the farmers want the elk shot because they cause so much damage. Go up before hand and ask around i.e. bars and they will tell you where the Elk are and where to set up. Even the DNR will tell you were to go. I would be more than happy to help anyone.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I've been trying to pull an elk tag in Michigan since 1986 and STILL nadda'. :( :rant:

I keep putting in for one every year but lately I've gotten tired of waiting so I have been going West for the last few years (Idaho & Montana) and it's GREAT fun !

Do not just sit around waiting to get drawn,.. you'll get old really quick waiting to get picked in an unfair lotto system. I started out in the beginning just trying for BULL only,... and decided that it was narrowing my chances so changed to the either sex tag draw. It's been either sex elk for many years and I STILL have not drawn. :16suspect

Then they changed the system to points,.. I currently have 5 points.

Now you have to figure that there are alot of hunters out there who are in my shoes and are also setting on 4-5 points :rolleyes: It's STILL going to be a LONG wait even for the point holders let alone a person just starting with a goosegg for points.

I'm not trying to discourage you (the system itself will do that) but what I AM trying to get across is don't waste your time hoping you'll get to go elk hunting,.... get out there to a state that offers over the counter tags and EXPERIENCE IT for yourself !

I've been kickin' myself in the pooper for not getting out there sooner than I did (90's) The terrain out West where the elk call home can be very challenging all by itself,.. let alone hunting elk in it. The younger and more in shape you are the easier and harder you will be able to hunt in that environment. I started in my late forties and wished I started in my 20's.

It's lot's of fun and many challenges are faced every year,.. not just the terrain,... but the critter your hunting and where it chooses to travel in that terrain. ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well stated Terry, nothing like a Rocky Mountain Elk hunt. Looking forward to meeting you at this years GT at Dworshak. Hopefully some big bulls get tagged this year.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
ID-Birddog said:
Well stated Terry, nothing like a Rocky Mountain Elk hunt. Looking forward to meeting you at this years GT at Dworshak. Hopefully some big bulls get tagged this year.
Hey,... is this who I THINK it is :confused:

Idaho5_0,.. is that you ?

I didn't know there were any GT brothers lurking over here. :lol: I will be looking forward to meeting you myself.

Brother we're going to slay em' this year in Clearwater. ;) :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Apply by all means...apply. It works the same way out here in Oklahoma. The Chances of getting drawn get better each year. We have a $5 fee to apply but we can apply in 4 catagories 1:elk 2:antelope 3:deer 4:turkey on managed state land. We apply for elk and deer every year. We've never not drawn a deer hunt. You pick your desired area (wildlife refuge etc) 1st through 4th choice. Up to 4 hunters on a ticket. Might not get 1st choice but a change in scenery is always good.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
have gotten drawn yet, but look at it this way. dad has been putting in since 84 i believe, never missed a year, got a tage last fall, and it was $4 to apply, its not liek you are losing a paycheck.

ok. . how many people go west to elk hunt? a lot of peopel do, now on the other hand how many people can say that they got drawn and shot a michigan elk? a lot less. . that right there is what i think is worth it! if you get discouraged, and quit applying, then im not going to talk you out of it, because thats just a better chance for me to draw one! now someone said it is an unfair drawing, well i want to hear a reason for that? is it because you have been applying and never drawn one yet? thats why it is called a LOTTERY. I have eyt to draw one, but look forward to the year when i do. it is a challenge in itself to hunt and elk, yet alone get drawn in michigan! id rather wait and get one in michigan before going out west, even if it takes 20 years or more! plus the elk are a lot bigger! they may be leaner out west, but they are bigger here! thats my thoughts

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
outdoor_m_i_k_e said:
now someone said it is an unfair drawing, well i want to hear a reason for that? is it because you have been applying and never drawn one yet? thats why it is called a LOTTERY. I have yet to draw one, but look forward to the year when i do.
Well that someone would probably be me. Now let me fill you in a few facts that not many of you are probably aware of,... Back about 5 years ago there was an article written about 2 brothers who had been drawn for bull elk tags two years in a row !! That is one of the reasons I called it an unfair lottery,.. not to mention the handful of relatives of our former Governor (Engler) who had there multiple cracks at em' :16suspect :rant: Where there's government involvement within a government agency or division,.. there's always strings being pulled for someone who knows somebody.

I'm sure there have been many more instances that the public are not aware of. It seems to me that the ODDS of 2 brothers drawing twice consecutively is astronomical at best :rant: while others like me sit on the sidelines dreaming of the chance, just ONE chance let alone TWO!

I personally have been trying every year since 1986 and not yet has it happened, :rolleyes: and I know of many others in the same boat as I'm in. :(

YES,.. I STILL put in for one every year regardless,.. even the years I do go out West I'll put in just for a point to keep me in the top of the game. (since that system was started) This year will be 21 years of trying to score on one tag,... ANY tag. A bull would be nice but meat is meat to me,.. I won't be eating the antlers. :lol:

I"ll be 57 years old this year and the clock is ticking,.. I'm not going to just sit and wait to be drawn here in Michigan for a chance to hunt Elk,.. I'm going where the dream is going to be an actuality while waiting for a crack at it at home. There are plenty of people (a couple right here on this site) that know of the stories I'm speaking about regarding this lotto are true ,..and some know more about shenanigans that are going on than I do. :mad: :16suspect

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't envision myself going out west elk hunting. But thanks for the ideas. I will just start applying this year and keep going. Who knows, stranger things have happened.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Well said Outdoor Mike. I too have been applying for many years. The one thing I still can't figure out is if you have four bonus points and a person applying does'nt have any bonus points how the odds are still the same? It would seem like you would have four times better chance than someone without any points.:confused:

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
its just the personal way you look at it. . i would much rather wait to draw a michigan tag and have that experience than to go out west and just buy a tag over the counter. . its more the fact of yeah itsa lottery and some people may NEVER get drawn but if you do, then it is totally worth it. . in my point of view anyways

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Mike I guess with thinking like you do,... you want to experience the lottery more than experiencing the hunt for Wapiti. :rolleyes:

With that thought in mind you'd be better off putting your money down in the REAL state lottery,.... then if you won that you could go out west, buy your tag and license and experience the the actual hunt. :lol:

Your ODDS at winning the State Lottery are by far BETTER than your odds at getting drawn to hunt Wapiti locally. Do what you feel is right for you,... BUT I for one want to experience the HUNT more than I do the lottery for the chance to MAYBE hunt.

Like I said earlier,.. you COULD wait a lifetime and never get the chance to hunt them OR,... you can pay under $700.00 for a tag and license and HUNT them and have EXPERIENCES that will last you a LIFETIME ! :coolgleam

The choice is yours. ;) :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts