Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Electronic turkey calls controversial

Chuck Townsend said he has been a turkey hunter"probbly longer than you've been living." And he doesn't like the notion of allowing trukey hunters to use electronic calls.

"I don't know that it's cheating, but it's not very sportsmanlike in my opinion . All you have to do is sit and push a button and be patient enough and a turkey will respond. That's the part I don't like."

http://www.newsok.com/article/1727437/

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Electronic calls, electronic decoys, etc are all degrees of progress pro/con of hunting in general. Take your pick primitive or not.
It is the Feds that get extreme and bent out of shape over decoys and baiting in the waterfowl forum, but that is their problem....in their forum.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Their wildlife department is neutral because there is no biological reason to ban them.

The spokesman for the Turkey Federation is already being an ethics cop and passing judgement about how it is not sportsman like.

I'd say if the leagalize it, no one is forcing you to do it. Lots of turkey hunters use a two man team to call birds and an electronic call would allow the single hunter the same advantage as a two man team. Makes sense to me.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but are they thinking about passing a law that states you can use electronic calls? Last I knew you were not able to use them. Sorry for my ignorance. Thanks for any info.

-Psebuckmaster17-

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Why not allow night shooting off the roost too? After all, that is easier too, isn't it? <saracasm intended> Just another push to make things easier. After all, learning to call is too hard for the majority of armchair hunters.

BTW, here is an exceprt from the Michigan Turkey hunting rules.

Hunting Methods
Hunters may use a bow and arrow, a firearm which fires a shotgun shell or a muzzleloading shotgun for turkey hunting. It is unlawful to use or carry any ammunition except shotgun shells loaded with No. 4 or smaller shot, or to use or carry loose shot larger than No. 4 for muzzleloading hunting. Archery hunters may hunt turkeys from an elevated stand or tree. A hunter using, or in possession of, a firearm may not hunt from an elevated stand or tree. Turkeys may be hunted with dogs during the fall season. Electronic recordings are illegal. Turkeys may not be taken while they are in a tree.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Figured it wouldn't be too long for the Judges to pop out.

If something is legal, or becomes legal in MI, and someone chooses to hunt that way more power to them. I'd rather have them hunting their way then not hunting at all.

If you don't like a method of hunting, don't do it that way then. Be secure in your hunting methods and don't worry about how the other guy, gal, or youth is doing their hunt (as long as it's legal).

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Good point Thunderhead but I can't help but respond to this.

Game laws are in place to manage the kill and also to make it sporting and give the game we hunt a chance. Otherwise, we might as well hunt deer with spotlights, shoot turkeys on the roost or use an electro-shocking fishing pole. I could never support the legalization of electronic calls. It makes the hunt really unfair to our quarry. Right along the lines of baiting and mechanical decoys.

It's not fair to hunters either. You do your scouting, practise your calls to prepare for your hunt. Then here come some yee-ha road scouting. He pulls over, opens his truck to expose his over-amplified sound system to let out his electronic recordings of shock gobblers and hen calls to get a response and find a bird to hunt. No way should this be legal. :(

This also goes along with our developing into a me first, gotta have it now society. To many people want everything to be easy. Anyone can become proficient with all the legal turkey calls we have now with a little practice. The current rules are allowing a steady increase in turkey harvests every year. There is no need to liberalize the current regulations and allow electronic calls.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I guess that's why the heading says "Electronic turkey calls controversial".

Anywho, don't see it happening here in MI for some time unless something's brewing I haven't yet heard about.

·
Super Moderator
11,080 Posts
Thanks for the interesting perspective on out of state developments. Interesting debate while it lasted....but I would just as soon keep this about Turkey Hunting and Tactics. When and if laws change we can explore that in the Law Forum. For now I see it as a moot point.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.