Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone suggest a good electric knife sharpener? Something that works good on all types of blades? I have tried many manual sharpening systems, Lansky's, Chef's Choice, crock sticks, an assortment of stones and steels. Nothing seems to work for me, especially on those long, thin, flexible fillet blades. Anyone know of something that actually works? I seem to spend more time keeping an edge than actually cleaning fish and No, I don't want an electric knife. Don't like 'em.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
Chef's Choice 3-stage

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
X5- absolutely! Bass Pro had the best price when I purchased mine a few years ago.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I'm going to throw this out as an alternative. I've owned two cheif choice, this deal I saw at a trade show and liked the edge it made.

Work Sharp tool and knife sharpener.

It is absolutely scary sharp on filet knives. Hunting knifes use a different guide attachments. I too struggled to get a good sharp lasting edge but seem to be able to with this.

I wish I was one of those guys that can put an edge by hand on a tri-stone, takes me forever and only so so.

Bp carries these right next to the cheif choices. Three grit belts down to a polisher. Take a dull knife to shaving sharp in 15 minutes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Attachments

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
I have the Chef's choice. It works great..BUT..I only use it to re-shape the edge. It'll take off too much of the tempered edge it you're not careful. Most times I use a GOOD butcher's steel to touch the edge up. Several times whenever I do anything. I only use the machine if the edge needs re-shaping. My knives are all razor sharp..The Chef's Choice is the only thing I ever found that would put a new edge on my Buck knife..

·
Registered
8 Posts
That is a really positive review. I had an old Chef's choice that I got second hand and I didn't like the job it did. Never had a new one or tried a 3 stage diamond one. I will give it a try.Thanks guys! Just realized I was posting on my girlfriend's account! This is Piscatorial Warrior.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I was referred top model here on MS, used it now for a couple years and lov it. I use it on all type of knives and for the price cannot beat it.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Presto-08800-EverSharp-Electric-Sharpener/dp/B00006IUWM"]Presto 08800 EverSharp Electric Knife Sharpener : Amazon.com : Kitchen & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/415fLv%[email protected]@[email protected]@415fLv%2BaW0L[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Presto-08810-Professional-Electric-Sharpener/dp/B000TYBWJ0"]Amazon.com: Presto 08810 Professional Electric Knife Sharpener: Kitchen & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@4130MRlGg1L[/ame]

·
Registered
584 Posts
Another vote for the Work Sharp tool and knife sharpener. It does a great job in very little time. I threw away my old chef's choice sharpener. I never did like it.

Mike

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
Most times I use a GOOD butcher's steel to touch the edge up.
Yep, a quality butcher's steel is a necessary tool to keep in the kitchen for anyone who is going to use a knife. I am often surprised at the number of guys who fillet fish or cut up deer or just do general meat cutting in the kitchen and do not want to spend the small amount of money on a good steel.

·
Premium Member
1,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a good steel to touch up the edge of my knives. A steel is not for sharpening, a steel is used to re-align the molecules on the edge of the blade and to remove burrs thus MAINTANING an already sharpened edge.

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,418 Posts
X5- absolutely! Bass Pro had the best price when I purchased mine a few years ago.
x6!
Wife got the Cabela's "Stainless" model for the price of the STD white one....
Better be careful!
You'll carve your eye out!!! :lol: :lol: :tdo12:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts