Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any reviews on electric bikes they own? Good, bad, or indifferent? I'm considering getting one and don't want to make a few thousand dollar mistake.

I see that e bikes are prohibited on Michigan trails and off road. They are allowed on most paved trails with some exclusions. I've contacted several different DNR offices to see if they grant exceptions to the rule for hunting and/or scouting purposes. Has anyone run into issues with the DNR?

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
I've been researching ebikes for hunting for months now. I have one on order that should be delivered in the next few weeks so I can't speak first hand, but I can share what I've learned through my research.

The first question you might want to ask yourself is Do you need a hub drive or mid drive motor? Mid drives will give you much more torque for climbing hills but are also more expensive. I went with a hub drive, which is fine for MI, but might be underpowered for hill country in other states.

Youtube is a terrific resource.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been researching ebikes for hunting for months now. I have one on order that should be delivered in the next few weeks so I can't speak first hand, but I can share what I've learned through my research.

The first question you might want to ask yourself is Do you need a hub drive or mid drive motor? Mid drives will give you much more torque for climbing hills but are also more expensive. I went with a hub drive, which is fine for MI, but might be underpowered for hill country in other states.

Youtube is a terrific resource.

With a mid motor drive if the motor goes out you have to push the bike back. You don't have the ability to pedal back so that's a deal breaker for me.

Which bike did you go with and how do you like it so far? Also how are you carrying your bow or gun?

·
Registered
234 Posts
In the SGA he should have been fine. If he was in the NWR, not so much.
After reading the links that were provided ORV, Motor Cycle Trails would be OK, Southern Lower State Game Areas looks like NO, is that the way you read it.
Some of the State Game Areas that have dikes have gravel down like SGA I guess I would question.
Thanks
aphess223

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
With a mid motor drive if the motor goes out you have to push the bike back. You don't have the ability to pedal back so that's a deal breaker for me.

Which bike did you go with and how do you like it so far? Also how are you carrying your bow or gun?
From what I've read its very rare to bust a chain. If I were to own a mid drive, I'd keep a spare chain in the saddle bag so if in the rare event I bust a chain, I can replace it and be on my way. Not a deal breaker for me.

I ordered the Bolton Blackbird which is a 750 watt hub drive. It should be delivered in April.

If you're set on a hub drive, I'd look at Himiway cruiser. They seem to be the best value at $1500.

·
Premium Member
29,985 Posts
After reading the links that were provided ORV, Motor Cycle Trails would be OK, Southern Lower State Game Areas looks like NO, is that the way you read it.
Thanks
aphess223
It's interesting - because state law appears to contradict itself.

They specifically define E-bikes as "non motorized vehicles", yet (maybe) ban them on unimproved trails because they are motorized.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From what I've read its very rare to bust a chain. If I were to own a mid drive, I'd keep a spare chain in the saddle bag so if in the rare event I bust a chain, I can replace it and be on my way. Not a deal breaker for me.

I ordered the Bolton Blackbird which is a 750 watt hub drive. It should be delivered in April.

If you're set on a hub drive, I'd look at Himiway cruiser. They seem to be the best value at $1500.
That's the way I'm leaning. The Huntin Wheelz and Himiway appear to be the exact same with a few minor differences. Twist throttle vs. thumb push, 17.5ah vs 11.6ah battery, 1 year vs. 2 year warranty, seat and rack. Hard to tell for sure without actually seeing the Himiway.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts

You can still pedal a mid drive if the motor goes out. You can pedal wo using the motor if you don't want to turn it on. If the chain breaks you'll have to push.

·
Registered
9,552 Posts
That's the way I'm leaning. The Huntin Wheelz and Himiway appear to be the exact same with a few minor differences. Twist throttle vs. thumb push, 17.5ah vs 11.6ah battery, 1 year vs. 2 year warranty, seat and rack. Hard to tell for sure without actually seeing the Himiway.
The Huntin Wheelz. Love it. Mark (owner) owes me a rear rack yet, (bought it at the end of Nov) that and the headlight is cheap. My only 2 complaints so far. It’s done everything I expected it to including driving through snow. Koplin Rhino Grips for gun and bow holder for handle bars.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel
Carbon Automotive tire Bicycle part Wheel Rim

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
907 Posts
Any info on how noisy they are ? I want one I can ride way back into the woods. Now, I sweat to death by the time I walk back to my stands . The one I buy I want to be quiet but I don't see any info on how loud they are.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Also....I see alot of models don't have a fender on them. Don't you get dirty from the tires throwing stuff up on you?

·
Administrator
36,078 Posts
I have been quite happy with my huntin wheelz "shooter". It included many extras like lights, rack, and fenders that the others charge extra for.

It has stood up to several years of abuse, running it out in cold or wet conditions with only a few minor issues.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts