Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
15,539 Posts
And the hits just keep on coming! Who gives a f-ck about Einstein, he was a crazy drug addicted old fool that couldn’t get it up!
LOL - there are no "hits." There's just Cork Dust posting pics one day, then pulling pics, then the next day being a drama queen who "might quit hunting." If he doesn't want to draw attention to what he killed he shouldn't start a thread hyping them up and then whine when people ask to see pics.

·
Registered
169 Posts
LOL - there are no "hits." There's just Cork Dust posting pics one day, then pulling pics, then the next day being a drama queen who "might quit hunting." If he doesn't want to draw attention to what he killed he shouldn't start a thread hyping them up and then whine when people ask to see pics.
Seriously? Why does a great story have to turn into insults and name calling...I don't get it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
After repeatedly staring at my notes and maps, as well as Google Earth to pick a stand site, taking my post-drive 'shower' in scent killer, arriving inthe dark to settle-in and start calling until you get too cold to sit anymore, move, and then start all over again only to not shoot a buck, the pattern changed yesterday in Delta county. I was set-up in the outside corner of a mature clear-cut with two conifer swamps buttingup angainst it with an open rolling field behind me. After sitting for three hours I decided to walk the field edge to look for tracks rubs and scrapes as well as to warm-up. For whatever reason, after walking a couple hundred yards I looked back to where I had been posted to see a deer pop-out and start trottin down the opposite side of the field, followed by a second deer. I put the scope up to verify it was a doe and then moved to the second deer which turned out to be a buck. As I was looking at the buck I noticed another deer , seen via my free eye,enter from the clear-cut and swung on it. Much larger deer with an easily visible rack. By now my eyes were watering from looking into the stiff wind. I quickly looked around for an aspen whip or anyting to use as a rest. Nope., nothing. As I was focusing on not jerking the shot I realized I had screwed-up and not dialed my scope out from 2X to 7X. The crosshairs were wandering around on his chest as the gun went off. He immediately veered to his right and took a couple of strong bounds as I racked in another shell for a second shot at him as he crossed the field. All I could see and shoot at was the top of his back, but I noticed he had slowed back to a slow trot and was hunched-up. I swung out in front of him to try to find a place to shoot again as I saw his head, neck and back enter the site picture. After he entered cover I paced to the spot I first shot at him-117 paces. What was reassuring was the volume of blood that roughly paralled his tracks; I either hit him low or hit him well, so I worked at getting my gear stashed back together prior starting to track the bloodtrail. He went further than I anticipated, but never entered the water. As you can see from the picture, I got very lucky on the shot placement, cutting his diaphragm and damaging his liver via the concussion of the hit. He also headed in the general direction of the woods road I came in on. After tagging him, I got him across the stream intact and then changed back out of my hip boots to my Lacrosse Burlys, gutted him and left him to find a way out to the road. After I found the road I piled my pack and gear to start the walk to the truck, keeping my 7600 for the trek. On the way to the truck, I saw a doe and fawn cross the road at a good clip so I slowed down and stayed on the edge as I crept forward. Out stepped another buck whose rack I could easily see! Yes, this time I had the scope dialed back out to 7X... I grabbed a handful of aspen whip, layed the barrel on my arm and fired. He ran to the woods edge and piled-up against a spruce cluster, bouncing off that before he fell. I tagged him and basiclly sprinted to the truck...well as fast as I can walk with a broken back, fake knee and fake hip! I had never fully unloaded the truck from a duck hunting trip to Munuscong prior the gun opener, so I slid one buck on the sled inside the bed and then tied the second deer onto the the tailgate securely. I should have taken a picture of the loaded truck but I was so wound--up after I got them loaded I drove straight to Viau's in Escanaba to drop them off for processing after a stop to weigh and register them at the MDNR office. We have guests at Thanskgiving this year, so no deer processing in the garage on turkey day. Both couples feed deer routinely through the winter months.... so no deer hunt stories either.

Dead tired today... verified that I need to get my right hip replaced this winter. Yes, Karen is still telling me I should not hunt alone at my age. The larger buck weighed 214lbs on the MDNR scale.
Congratulations! (My wife says the same to me also about hunting alone)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I stopped baiting over a decade ago, switching to using my grouse hunting trips to scout deer and then returning to check for currently made scrapes and rubs on rainy days to keep my scent down. I have around a half dozen camaras, but seldom use them, too.

This area was clear-cut three times with the newest cutting closest to the paved road, made about four years ago. I used to hunt geese and trap on the four beaver flowages in here as well in the nineties. One camp to the east about 3/4s of a mile away and blocked by a large beaver flowage from getting in here. This is the main downside of Delta county: numerous small forty camps used by large group of hunters. Good annual buck kill rates, but too many 1.5YO and2.5YO bucks among them. IF you can find a good chunk of cover with no UTV/ATV access, legal or more commonly illegal, the deer get older and get a chance to actually begin to express their genetic potential. I passed a very nice buck that would have been an 8/9pt. with most of his right beam broken-off on opening day. Young deer, too, based on body size, but impressive height and mass. I saw a big bodied 8pt that was a shooter, too, that came in to the estrus bleat call sequence. He was missing the end of his left beam.
My buddies and I used to hunt the Hamilton Homestead road out of Rock / Mc pharlin, we had an area all to ourselves till they went in and logged. we tent-camped and took many deer. Ahh, those were the days! Stories like yours bring back such good memories.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts