Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Congrats CD on a great UP season. Sounds like a great hunt!
Some of the comments made have gone a long way toward convincing me that this will likely be my last year of deer hunting...

So much of deer hunting lsuccess is a consquence of chance, combined with a big dose of perseverance.

I had intended to buy a single tag since I had seen nothing impressive by way of sign while grouse hunting this year. The clerk reminded me what a deal a senior combo tag actually is, which made me alter my choice of license. Had I not made a low shot on the first buck, he would have not gone that far, which altered my choice on how to get back out around the beaver flowage to where my truck was parked. After I found him I pulled my GPS handheld out of my pack and checked the location of my truck...it was shorter to cut for the road by compass bearing, putting me in a location where I had to walk the road back to the truck and bumping into a second nice buck. Unless I get hopelessly lost, I refer to my wrist compass for direction guidance. Accumulated experience came to bear via not opting to walk through the woods on the road back without still choosing to pay attention to my surroundings... Weird that this thread morphed from being about the animal(s) and the whys of what deer hunting is about, from my perspective, to speculation and conspiracy. I suspect you are familiar with the comments and questions that follow your posts. Over the years time and exerience have convinced me that I have a better probability of bumping into a nce deer by looking for a chunk of dirt to hunt in where people opt to not go. When I encounter a MDNR, Forest Service, or CFR gate, the first thing I check for is whether there is an ATV/UTV illegal bypass trail and how worn it is from repeated traffic. Over my years hunting deer here in the UP, the one thing that I have observed that has had the most marked negative impact on the quality of deer hunting is not wolves; it's the loss of escape cover, particularly on public access lands via illegal off-road vehicle usage to place and service bait piles.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
"Some of the comments made have gone a long way toward convincing me that this will likely be my last year of deer hunting..."

Hell, Cork it should be more inspiration to keep the hunt going!
I jumped to the last page of this thread so I do not know if the jealousy posts were posted.
I would have LOVED to see the picture of your loaded truck, I have been thinking about that since reading your thread yesterday.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Some of the comments made have gone a long way toward convincing me that this will likely be my last year of deer hunting...

So much of deer hunting lsuccess is a consquence of chance, combined with a big dose of perseverance.

I had intended to buy a single tag since I had seen nothing impressive by way of sign while grouse hunting this year. The clerk reminded me what a deal a senior combo tag actually is, which made me alter my choice of license. Had I not made a low shot on the first buck, he would have not gone that far, which altered my choice on how to get back out around the beaver flowage to where my truck was parked. After I found him I pulled my GPS handheld out of my pack and checked the location of my truck...it was shorter to cut for the road by compass bearing, putting me in a location where I had to walk the road back to the truck and bumping into a second nice buck. Unless I get hopelessly lost, I refer to my wrist compass for direction guidance. Accumulated experience came to bear via not opting to walk through the woods on the road back without still choosing to pay attention to my surroundings... Weird that this thread morphed from being about the animal(s) and the whys of what deer hunting is about, from my perspective, to speculation and conspiracy. I suspect you are familiar with the comments and questions that follow your posts. Over the years time and exerience have convinced me that I have a better probability of bumping into a nce deer by looking for a chunk of dirt to hunt in where people opt to not go. When I encounter a MDNR, Forest Service, or CFR gate, the first thing I check for is whether there is an ATV/UTV illegal bypass trail and how worn it is from repeated traffic. Over my years hunting deer here in the UP, the one thing that I have observed that has had the most marked negative impact on the quality of deer hunting is not wolves; it's the loss of escape cover, particularly on public access lands via illegal off-road vehicle usage to place and service bait piles.
Sorry that you feel that way and are giving up deer hunting because of this thread. But, I really just see a bunch of guys that want to see your bucks, they were dandy’s by the way, I saw them. They want to see them and congratulate you not much more than that.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I read this very closely right through until post #37 where it appears this took a turn.
Everyone was extremely gracious this story was shared with us. I know I was.
Maybe there was a comment that was removed. Either way, congrats.
My buddy has had both hips replaced and he is going stronger than ever. It's not your last season.

Reactions: RHRoss

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
Taking pictures while arriving to your downed game is legal IMHO, I took some today before I “possessed” my game. Then immediately tagged my deer when I grabbed ahold of it. Id love to see these yooper bucks.
I notch my tags immediately, even before I get out of the tree. It's why I only shoot spikes and does. Easier to get sex and point count right.

I can't believe the number of people posting pictures of downed deer that they can see from the tree stand. Clearly they don't understand immediately.

Can you imagine the audacity of people that film deer recoveries and post the video on YouTube. How dare they creating motion pictures without having a tag attached.

When I do tag my deer it's like playing operation with the zip tie. Until that thing is zipped down, don't touch the deer. Wouldn't want the DNR to walk up and see me touching an untagged deer. BUZZ

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
CD heck of an accomplishment I can’t speak for everyone’s intentions but I would be willing to bet most were messing around just cause they wanted to see the pictures. Many saw them and said they were dandies I’ll take their word for it. Great job on to UP beauties! I wouldn’t give up hunting because of comments. Congrats and enjoy eating them as that is really what it’s about

·
Registered
23,348 Posts

Figured it was enough to compliment your kills here...

But , did note right away while reading that you chose a site well.
A great combination of terrain and habitat variety , without parking next to six truckloads of hunters.

My recoveries are rough. Even the easy ones.
Maybe in time a deer is going to get quartered instead of being whole. It will still be a deer. As your mobility changes so too can how you hunt.

Keep at it. Safely.
You're clever and educated enough to locate kill and recover still. Even if you have to adapt /modify.
Never mind the gallery's comments. You're the individual in the arena.

I'll argue with you about a fish. Doesn't mean insult. Your success in hunting (or fishing for that matter) is just that. And it is a shared success because you shared it.
Enjoy the compliments for what they are. Congratulations from fellow sportsmen.
Always critics. Have you or I ever been one?
Don't let that null your success.

·
Registered
Whitetails and Steelhead
2,395 Posts

Don't give up Deer Hunting over foolish comments from Fools, You've been a member here long enough to know the foolishness. Tell'em to suck rocks and keep on moving. I think your experiance was awesome and congradulate you. I saw the pictures yesterday and a couple of awesome yoop bucks for sure.

·
Registered
15,539 Posts
Speaking of Einstein's definition of insanity, what did he have to say about people hyping up their deer kills online via pictures, then pulling the pictures, and then playing the victim when people request to see the pics?

61 - 80 of 93 Posts