Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planted a Egyptian Wheat/Sorghum screen for the first time this year and was very impressed with how it turned out.

What should my next step be to clean it up & prepare for next year?

Thanks in advance for your help. 1420412527279.jpg 1420412565210.jpg
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Attachments

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I usually bush hog ours just before I disk it. This year I may try a section earlier in the winter in hopes that the stalks break down a little more making it easier to work up in the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
The trash left behind is the worst part of EW. I brush hog and disc mine, but the past (2) years I've planted my succeeding screen row next to the previous screen, it's much easier this way.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
The best way IMO is to rotate between two planting strips. Let the prior year go fallow and plant the other. The one left fallow will break down and be much, much easier to mow and disc the following season. In the mean time it may also provide habitat for small game and non-game species.

Also, if you keep planting the same spot with the same species over and over, the chances of pest or disease rise.

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
In the past we have just tilled ours under either with the disc or with the tiller depending on what we were using at the time. It may take an extra pass or two but in our experience it hasn't been a big issue.

I don't know why I never really thought about rotating the screen location but I should probably do that this upcoming season just to avoid issue. We've planted it in the same rows for 3 seasons now.

·
Always a season
3,193 Posts
If planting in the same row from last years EW you will need to provide additional nitrogen to help break down all the carbon from the previous year EW that is disced into the soil.

EW is already a big consume of nitrogen to begin with. Without the additional nitrogen the new EW planted in the old location could be stunted.

·
Premium Member
15,943 Posts
Could'nt you just spray the area in the spring to kill any weeds that may crop up before planting and then just broadcast seed back down. I would think that the seed would find its way into the nooks and crannies under the dead matter and germinate?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts