Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went fishing the other day, for steelhead, and really got into them. In fact I was almost embarassed I was doing so well. There was another guy who had been fishing hard and heavy right along next to me. He was using flies. He wasn't catching anything. I felt bad and I tied on some flies too. But after about 30 mins without a bite I decided to go back to the eggs. Again I proceeded to tear them up. So my question is this, should I feel guilty about this? I mean it was almost like I was catching every fish that came through. I could see the guy was getting fruastrated. But then again, I came there to catch fish not just stand there in the cold. One thing about bait, I don't find my self wondering if the fish I have on is hooked in the mouth! But then again is it fair to others that don't have eggs to fish with? I doubt any of the fish I caught and released wanted to bite anything for quite awhile after that. Of course there wasn't any question about weather the fish were there! There was lots of them!
What do you guys think?

·
Administrator
36,200 Posts
Which ever way you prefer! You shouldn't feel guilty. Some people embrace the extra challenge of hooking a fish on a fly, maybe even one they tied. But its not for everyone and should be strictly a matter of choice.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would have walked over to the other angler, introduced myself and explained about the eggs.

I then would have offered some eggs and a hook if needed so that he could have caught a fish or two also.

Nothing sours an angler more than not catching a fish. People are leaving the sport of fishing and I feel we need to encourage people to stick with or start angling. Sharing our tricks and tips is one way to do that.

------------------
My life is good . . .
Fishing helps make it that way

Max
Waterford MI

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Put yourself in his shoes for a minute. What would you want the guy next to you who is tearing em up to do? Would you want him to share his method with you or would you just want him to leave. I'd dare say that most of the time you, myself included, would want to at least talk with him. I've been in his shoes, and it is pretty awkward asking a guy who is catching a lot of fish what his secret is. Now, if he came up to me, that sure would make it easier. I sort of get the feeling when I ask guys how they are catching fish that they think I'm trying to steal their secrets. So most of the time, I will not ask.

But then again, how many times have I seen someone not catching fish and not shared with them how I am catching fish. It's a tough call, but wouldn't it be great if we could all share with eachother without worrying about anything.

Just my $.02 worth.

Ben

·
Registered
386 Posts
I think Max has a good point. I have been in simaler circomstances in the past. I can remember fishing the P.M. one day when a guy next to me was hooking quite a few fish and me, Nada... This guy was using hand tied egg flies and I was using wiggler flies. The fish oviously had a preferance for his creation over mine. This guy interduced himself as being from kentucky and offered a couple of his egg flies. I still dont remember how many steelhead's I hooked after that, but I can still remember the guys face and will never forget his generosity.

------------------
Mike

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I think I would have offered some eggs to the fellow.If you guys bump into us fishing we will offer you a sandwich too.Making new friends in the outdoors has never been a fault.You are always rewarded if only in a good memory shared.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I didn't offer him any eggs, I guess I thought it might offend him. I did talk with him a little, and I tried to let him have the best drift. But I didn't want to come off as a know it all, so I didn't talk much about technique. I think next time I'll approach the situation differantly. Of course the shoes will probably be on the others feet, and I'll be the one getting fruastrated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think I would have offered him some eggs myself. But i do see your point of coming off as a know it all. My self I take suggestions from everyone, I like learning new techniques and styles and would not be offened to anyone that offered their advice to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.