Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain the effect that snow and slush has on ice? For example- If there is 8 inches ice, 5 inches of slush and water on top, what does this do to the stability of the ice? Also how can you tell when not to push it in these conditions? Thanks.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I don't think ther is an answer! Ice is just not that simple.
Clear black ice is hard and tough stuff while foggy ice is unstable. The combination of the two makes for a hard equasion to figure.
I always drill a hole when I first get on unfamiliar ice. The thickness is not the thing I look for but the first few inches above the water tells me what I need to know. If I find three inches of clear, black ice just above the water, I feel safe.
You can see the various stages of ice formation when looking at a freshly drilled hole. Snow that melted and then re froze is usually foggy because of air trapped in the snow.
I have never felt safe driving a vehicle on the ice but lots of guys do it. I did it once and found the slush top coat, got stuck right there and have never tried it again, big bucks to get towed off!
I have also drilled holes in the ice and had no water come up when I got thru, about the scarriest feeling I have ever had looking down and seeing the water two feet below the ice.
I have also fished in lakes and ponds that had springs which add yet another dimension to the ice, 20 inches here and 2 inches there.
Never fish alone, always have a rope, always check first and don't stand together until you check the conditions.
Years ago I fished all day on 8-10" of foggy ice. On the way home about five feet from shore I went thru in four feet deep water. I got out and it was no big deal until that spring when I went back to the same spot and found about two feet further out and I would have been in 20 feet of water and this really scared me.
I usually miss first and last ice and consider patients a virtue in this case.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts