Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about doing a couple of night hunts for the coyotes on my farm and wondered what everbody thought.

What is a 22 LR's effective range on a coyotes?

And where is the best aiming point for a good clean kill?

Thanks

HM

·
Registered
26,524 Posts
Effective range with a rim fire on coyotes = 0 yards

head shot at five yards is the best way

Coyotes are too tough, get a center fire 22

·
Registered
290 Posts
Huntmaster143 - You are correct that at night with a light in Michigan you may only use a 22 rimfire (or smaller) or a shotgun.

I wouldn't try shooting a coyote any farther than 50 yards with a 22LR and a better choice would be a Shotgun loaded with 3" magnum BB's or #2's. A 22 Mag with premium High Velocity ammo might get you a few more yards, but at night most 'yotes are going to get close as long as they don't get wind of you.

If they don't get that close ...don't shoot. No sense in crippling an animal. There is no doubt they are tough. I've pelted a few from the trap line that were carring .243 slugs in none vital areas. So shot placement is a must with a 22 rimfire or even with a 22 centerfire.

Sure I'd rather be using my 22-250 but at night I carry my 870 with magnum loads of #2's.

·
Registered
673 Posts
a .22 lr is not at all a good gun for coyotes the best bet for night hunting would have to be the trusty 12 gauge. or for daytime get yourself a .22 centerfire.

good luck, dave

·
Registered
35,274 Posts
#4 buck will roll them over just fine. I think my 10mag holds 56 pellets.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The 22 centerfires are the way to go. Many many years ago I knew a poacher that used 22 LR on deer from his car. He did very well with headshots. I am not advocating poaching or even using a 22LR but if you are a good marksman it can be done. His shots were never more than 25 yards. This guy was the typical Mountain Man Hillbilly and had fought as an Infantryman in two wars (Korean,World War 2) He was a real nice guy but incredibly dumb. He had started poaching with his family when he was 7 years old. I never did it myself but I learned alot about hunting and tracking from this guy. If you can not hold on target well enough to place a shot in the brain of a coyote don't take head shots. Shoot for the hear-lung area. I myself got real good at hitting deer in the spine and breaking its back using 12 guage slugs from an 870. Talk about Lights Out!

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everybody.

Sounds like the good ol shot gun for the night hunting.

And a good excuse to get a new gun :) for the day time hunting.

HM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts