Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:help: In response to all the legislation that is going around i was driving past the kalamazoo kennel club and had an idea. I am thinking of seeing if they would let me come in and help educate the local dog owners on the proper use and placement of a standard foothold trap. This makes me think that when Wenke comes up with another bonehead bill we may have public dog owners on our side. An educated voter is a dangerous voter right? just curious if any one has done that before and if anyone may be willing to help since i myself am still very new to it. I just hate to hear and see these bills after my first trapping season. Thanks in advance I know you guys will help.

Cody

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Very Good Idea!!!!

In my opinion that is. Maybe this is one of the proactive ideas we should consider. Even though this was my first year trapping, I enjoyed it enough to not only protect it, but promote it as well. I might be interested in joining you to put on a seminar of sorts to show dog owners that the traps aren't so bad after all. I wonder if MTA would help out with this idea?

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
fishinglink said:
... on the proper use and placement of a standard foothold trap.
You need to approach this idea from the stand point of "why would dog owners be intereseted in learning more?" They aren't going to want to just attend a demonstration of how to trap. The marketed focus should be on how to safely remove dogs from traps, education on the fact that dogs won't die if they end up in a trap, and where traps are likely to be (aka which places to avoid or exercise caution (and during which months in particular)).
An educated voter is a dangerous voter right?
I think that you meant to type "uneducated".

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
OSXer said:
You need to approach this idea from the stand point of "why would dog owners be intereseted in learning more?" They aren't going to want to just attend a demonstration of how to trap. The marketed focus should be on how to safely remove dogs from traps, education on the fact that dogs won't die if they end up in a trap, and where traps are likely to be (aka which places to avoid or exercise caution (and during which months in particular)).

I think that you meant to type "uneducated".
This is what I was thinking. Not a trapping demo, as I don't have sufficient knowledge to do that. But to give them a demo showing that....

1. Traps don't have teeth, not do they maim, injure, or otherwise permanently harm their beloved fido in any way.

2. That the traps are designed to HOLD the animal, not break bones, puncture the skin, etc.

3. It is easy to remove their pet from the foothold trap, and demonstrate the proper way to do that.....

I would even be willing to snap a 1.5 on myself to prove they aren't harmful....

Anyone have any negatives that could come of this? I could be persuaded to do this for every obedience class. I'm sure the KKC has thousands of dogs go through their classes every year. Think of all the voters we could show the truth of our sport......

Chris

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I think it is a very good idea!!!You may also throw in a few thing's about body-grip trap's[such as they are placed under water MOST of the time.also the 6in. max size on public land]Many people just don't know anything about trap's or trapping!!The more people we can reach,the better off we are.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i did mean the word "educated" as when they know what a trap is capable of then they will know the politicians are not telling the truth. and as for use and placement the whole land and water regs not so much as to teach a trapping seminar but i thought we may be able to reach a wide array of people. thanks for the feed back

cody

p.s. magnum pm and maybe we can get this sorted out i am going to ask dave duncan if he can help out also.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I have done this sort of thing many times. Once for a kennel, hunting preserve, and once for a group of people from this board(Bird Hunters). Everyone has turned out great. It may seems simple to us how to remove a dog from a trap. But you will be amazed at the amount of people that have no idea. I am not bad mouthing these people at all. But once they got the trap in there hands in made sense how to do it to them.

Make sure you use tools they will have on hand will in the woods.(Leach and such) Show them how a common leach can free a dog from a conibear. Show them the basic sizes of footholds they may encounter. KNOW the state laws!!! NOT YOUR LAWS!!!! I personally don't like setting conibears on stateland out of the water (This is not the law) just my law. And a big one for me once the dog is released LEAVE the trap alone.

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts