Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a spin off from what I read on an earlier post in which the author said we need to make changes in the deer population ourselves through education and not relay on the DNR. I do agree to this statement and feel that conservation needs to start early on while in perhaps hunters safety. I have not attended hunters safety in years, so I don't know all of the topics being covered, but if we could tap into this group while they are still impressionable then maybe we can start to make changes in the quality of the deer herd. No this would not make a immediate change, but would have a long term affect.
From what I have been hearing so far everyone has a different take on how to fix the problem, and very few are under agreement. The only thing that I have seen in agreement is that Michigan's deer herd is not up to the standard that people would like.:D

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Interesting you bring this up Brandon...and I think your are "dead-on". Up here the Superior Deer Management group went into the schools and found that when deer biology was explained, deer management was explained, and students were surveyed as to if they should shoot a young buck...well over 80% said they should not. Seems fathers have different expectations than their kids, until tradition and years of mediocrity shape a childs opinion later on in life, but it is often the father that sets different expectations than what the kid might choose, if first presented with facts and research.

·
Registered
36,002 Posts
I agree on all counts.

Education not legislation is the key to deer management in our state. We were taught at a young age that shooting does was wrong and a criminal act. When the UP was trying to grow deer numbers that was correct. That was the 60s and this is today.

:idea: Ejookashan is the key for a better tommarow. :lol:

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
Luv2hunteup said:
...Education not legislation is the key to deer management in our state....
Yep, I've been preaching that ever since the topic of management was brought up on this site but some just don't get it and continue to push mandatory or legislative changes.

·
Registered
19,168 Posts
Yep, education & information will change everything. Just look at how much money, time, & effort our county has spent the past 35 years on drug, alcohol, tobacco products, & weight control education. Teenage smoking is down, but illegal drug use & teenage drinking haven't changed much. Teenage obesity is at an all time high. Another area of success is the increased use of condons among teenagers. The fear of disease is a pretty strong motivator.
If the DNR makes any rule changes based upon Wildlife Biologists recommendations, they need to be easily enforced by their CO's and have a decent acceptance level from hunters.

L & O

·
Registered
45 Posts
No doubt that education of both young and old is very important but....the DNR is the controlling agency on what limits a hunter.

I liken these recent post that seem to minimize the DNR's involvment to having no speed limits on the roads, just educate and everyone will drive "safely".:rolleyes:

Absolutely we need to educate...both the hunters and the DNR.

-Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts