Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Teaching my 14 year old the basics of rat trapping this year has been an enjoyable and profitable hobby (profitable for him, anyway. .). I had forgotten how much enjoyment there is in walking a line in cold weather. 30 so far (with only 6 110's), tells me we're in a great location. Although we marked about 40 more bank runs in other ponds (golf course) that we plan on getting to, the ice is now a factor. During the 2 days of clear ice, I noticed alot of bubbles running parallel to the shore about 3-4 feet out and thought of buying some small long springs and putting board sets in these areas.

Are these the edge sets I'm reading about? If so, can anyone point to a post on how I might use my existing 110's in these areas? I'd say the water is about 12-24" deep.

I love reading the posts on this site. It's been 30 years since I set my last trap and I had to learn the hard way. Now he's telling me things that I didn't know after reading them here. Kids these days have it way too easy!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Welcome to MS. sounds loke a good spot for a bottom edge set, look for a root or rock that sticks out from the bank or a pinch point and place your 110 there. Thnaks for showing the your youngster the sport and enjoy all your time togrther.

·
Registered
26,621 Posts
I have heard about putting them on lathe or sticks and baiting the trigger with parsnips, carrots or apples. Never tried it yet myself, but heard it works well.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Take a piece 5 ft piece of one by and put two nails in it about 4 inches apart. A #1 longspring has a hole in the base that will fit over it. shove a piece of carrot on the top nail and put the chain over the bottom. Then shove it under the ice on an a 45 degree angle with the trap up so the carrot is 3 or 4 inches under the ice. Works great. You can wire the trap right to the board if you want also. Just make sure to put the set in well traveled areas like you spoke of and you cant go wrong.;)

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Kgiovann,

Where are you located? Are you coming to the Fur Sale at Jay's this weekend? I'd be willing to loan you guys some prefabbed board sets and #1 longs if you want to try them out.

Let me know.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts