Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Eating Coyote

15K views 45 replies 38 participants last post by  S.NIEMI 
#1 ·
Got to talking with a buddy of mine for small game after the deer season and we talked about going out for coyote. Neither of us have had it and he says he heard they are not good for eating and I have heard from someone else he enjoyed his when he got it. Anyone try them or are they simply kill and discard?

#4 ·
eat em? no way...

#6 ·
Take it over to the guys house that said he liked it, and have him cook it for you.....Tell him to go ahead and have the first taste.....You should be able to tell by the look on his face how it tastes....and then tell him see ya later.....You mize well sprinkle a ashtray on it when your done cooking it to make it taste a little better:lol:...Don't always believe what ya hear.......Good luck.......Mack

#8 ·
I remember reading a story on another forum of a trapper saving cubed up coyote in the freezer for bait, and his wife used it in a stew for unexpected company. He recognized the plastic bag he used for the bait in the garbage after company had left. He and his wife had a good laugh.

#9 · (Edited)
Take a shoulder and cube up some of it. Makes excellent catfish bait. Back a ton of years ago when I used to catfish thats about all we used. My neighbor used to trap them and he catfished a lot. He would make up 6 to 8 bags of it, about 6 to 8 cubes in each bag then freeze it for the summer catfish......going catfishing and grab a bag out of the freezer and by the time you got to the lake or river it was thawed and ready for use..............

Just a tip.........as far as me eating it, "don't think so" lmao

#17 ·
I spent 4 months in China a couple years ago. I ate dog there - it was good (seriously). I can't imagine why coyote would be much different. The dog dish was prepared a bit like a stir-fry but it was kind of basted in a tomato stew-like sauce (with red pepper flakes); with the sauce, the dish was a bit wetter than a stir fry would normally be, but dryer/thicker than a stew. The meat was cut into thin slices, 1/8" thick maybe, and laid flat the pieces were about the size of a small chicken egg. I have no clue what cut of meat it was; if I had to guess I'd say loin meat or HQ steak as the meat was fairly tender - there was nothing tough, chewy or bad tasting about it. Had I not known it was dog, I would have thought beef, or perhaps even venison as it wasn't fatty.

I've always had an open mind about food. Most people accustom to an American diet would be surprised how good some stuff is that they automatically recoil in disgust over and/or simply say "no way" to, if they just tried a little. Aside from a 2-week stint when one of my co-workers was in China with me, I was the only American around for the rest of my stay. The guys from the company I was there to consult for were always trying to find something the American guy (me) wouldn't eat... they kept coming up dry (I actually gained a few pounds while there). The other guy from my company didn't want any part of the 'local color' - he lost weight while there, holding out for hamburgers and whatever else he could find reminiscent of Americanized food. Nothing wrong with that I suppose but I like to live a little.

The one thing they had there which I WILL NOT do again is that damn "rice wine" they drink and boast about like it's something good. IMHO, it tastes like Diesel fuel (I got a mouth full of Diesel while siphoning out a leaky tank one time, so yes I know what it tastes like). They gave me a bottle of the rice wine to bring back home... that single bottle cost more than a Chinese engineer makes in a month (it's supposed to be the good stuff)... YUK!

Personally, I'd give coyote a try - what is there to lose??? Or are you :gaga: ?

#18 ·
I could never eat one after smelling it. I skinned one Friday night that a friend shot with a muzzleloader. He hit it perfectly in the shoulder and it exited quite a ways back. I've skinned and gutted many animals, but that had to be the most disgusting thing I've ever smelled.

#19 ·
I've been tempted to try it.
Ground or stripped you can kill the flavor of nearly anything with sauces or seasoning.

Here's my primary concern however...

They eat carrion, like bears.

Undercooked Pork used to be a concern as they used to "slop" the hogs...Trichenosis (a tiny parasite) could grow and be passed to humans.

They use a kibbled dry food or grain for feed mostly now so pork is safe.

Bears took over the #1 spot for hosting Trichenosis now.
Yotes can (and probably do) have it as well.

All that means is that you had better cook it to 180 or above and for my liking that's just plain overcooked, dry and tough.

Meatballs, stirfry, stewmeat, roasts...these would all work fine.

I've eaten and cooked Mountain Lion but I had to cover the flavor pretty good.

I'll make this offer...if anyone is willing to try it...you provide the Yote and I'll do the cooking and I'll eat it as well.

#22 ·
One opening day, we had a bunch of guys at camp for a buck pole. One guy showed up with a nice buck and a couple yotes. My dads hunting partner decided mid day that he wanted the pelt off one of the yotes and decided he was going to skin it.

WOW!!! he went just outside of camp and by the time he got started till the end of the weekend he was a very unpopular man(LOL) One of the worst things you could smell. No way could I eat it after that experience!:sick:

#24 ·
i have had dog many times in asia and its quite good. i would expect youte to be the same.
try cooking some up , if you don't like it all your out is a little time.
remember what andrew zimern say's " if it looks good,eat it"

#26 ·
Ever wonder why we never seen very many dogs in Viet Nam in the 60s?? Maybe one in each village but they were always fairly fat just like a steer in a pen being feed just before slaughtering......:lol: Actually in Xuan Loc I did eat some dog that was stir fried. Didn't know till after I ate it but it actually wasn't too bad.....not great but not disgusting either......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.