Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally getting away from school this weekend and am heading to the parents house in TC. Is there any action on east bay, or is all the action on west bay?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Our best action has been on east bay this year fishing out of Elk Rapids.

·
Registered
39 Posts
help for a first year fisherman. what has been the key at Elk Rapids this year?
This is my first year chasing kings, and success has been dismal. I've been throwing everything but the kitchen sink at them, but not much success. can anybody that fishes that area help? i'm using riggers, and a dipsy/fly setup, no core yet. depth anywhere from just off bottom to 20-25'. spoons, plugs, flies. i can't seem to get them to bite. What am i doing wrong?
t

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The biggest thing this year was to cover the water from 60-100 feet down no matter what the depth of water. We ran two dipsys set on 3 about 150 feet back (im assuming they were hitting or getting close to 60 feet, they worked so who cares). We also ran two down riggers, one at 80 and the other at 100. Always had two rods running something with blue, another had pink, and the fourth rod we changed about every hour to see if they wanted something different. They rarely wanted something different. Blue was the ticket. Also try running a spoon behind a dodger or spin doctor. Our number one combo was a white dodger and a blue chilly willy. We boated 20 kings and 3 lakers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've heard that before a lot more this year about dodger and spoon. How far do you run that spoon back off dodger? Enough to total the length of the rod your using?

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
The biggest thing this year was to cover the water from 60-100 feet down no matter what the depth of water. We ran two dipsys set on 3 about 150 feet back (im assuming they were hitting or getting close to 60 feet, they worked so who cares). We also ran two down riggers, one at 80 and the other at 100. Always had two rods running something with blue, another had pink, and the fourth rod we changed about every hour to see if they wanted something different. They rarely wanted something different. Blue was the ticket. Also try running a spoon behind a dodger or spin doctor. Our number one combo was a white dodger and a blue chilly willy. We boated 20 kings and 3 lakers.
Can you fill out you profile? I may know who you are in person.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I did well up there on green squids behind a white hootchie on the mag Dipsey's set on 3 175 back. I also caught some on a glow coyote spoon off the riggers down 80. I troll around 2.5 mph. Caught fish right in front of the harbor, over at Mission Bay, and down at the Bluffs. The best fish were down the bay, but we caught more fish at the Harbor. This was back in August, but it wouldn't surprise me if the fish are still in the same places.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I did well up there on green squids behind a white hootchie on the mag Dipsey's set on 3 175 back. quote]

We did well on the EXACT same set-up this year out there as well.;)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've heard that before a lot more this year about dodger and spoon. How far do you run that spoon back off dodger? Enough to total the length of the rod your using?
We only put it behind the dodger/flasher about two feet maybe a little more.

·
Registered
39 Posts
tanks for the help guys. going out saturday. i'll let you know if my fishing luck improves. how far back off the rigger ball do your leads run? i usually start about 10', but have heard of guys going back 100' or more.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Went out on east bay sunday morning. First fish was the biggest menominee I have ever seen followed by the smallest king of the year. Cant say im disappointed with the morning...the menominee totally made the trip.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Went out on east bay sunday morning. First fish was the biggest menominee I have ever seen followed by the smallest king of the year. Cant say im disappointed with the morning...the menominee totally made the trip.

I think those pinks you were catching were bigger than that king :evilsmile

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Its hard to tell in that picture, but that king looks a lot like a coho to me. Scales seem to be flaking off, and the mouth looks more whitish.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There is a way to tell by looking at the anal fin to tell the difference between a king and coho. My friend was a head hunter for the DNR this summer and he filled me in on how he did it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts