Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the hoopla about posting river names, etc and since there were so many places fished within the last couple days, I opted to post this in Cold Water.

I started the New Year out locally and found out my 2003 luck did not carry over to the new year. I threw everything and could not find any takers. After 3 hours, I headed to the surf on the big lake. Within the first 20 minutes my rod tip did it's curtain call and I found my first fight of the year.....dam, a bugle mouth sucker....

The next day Knockoff and I met up in Flint at 5:00am and headed north. We arrived at the first river and found a 4" visability just as the sun came up. As the lite came, I noticed a SKUNK walking the bank across from me...."Not a good thing" I said to John....Within an hour, the clarity worsened, so we decided to try another river. Due to the previous days rain, it too was blown out.

Back in the truck and another hour drive. We found our 3rd river running clear and had a couple duck hunters inform us there were a couple steelhead prowling just up river. I set up camp above a deep run fishing spawn to no avail. Not even a tap.

On my second hole, a local set up just above me and within 15 minutes had one on....he ended up 0 for 4, fishing waxies above a corkie.....I had a couple taps, only to find the smolts were active.

We didn't hook a fish, but as always, a great day to be out with great company.

The following day found me on the "ship of fools" with Shoeman and Quix. We ran plugs most of the float without a tap. On one of the more productive holes, Ralf decided to walk some spawn.. After working his bait back, he set his pole down......lol....and almost lost it....the pole started heading south, he grabbed it just in time. ..and .... the line broke. We had two more hits without a hookup. With the wind stiring up and the flakes starting to fall, we called it a day.

Overall, a ton of water, more than our share of laughter and way too many miles of road started my new year with 3 consecutive days of the SKUNK......

Marc

·
Administrator
35,877 Posts
Thanks for the report Marc. I should note that the proposed/ revised river posting guidelines never went into effect due to extreme unpopularity. Post away as you all were previously. Some of you have voluntarily taken up the proposed guidelines anyway and that is fine.

·
Super Moderator
3,181 Posts
Thanks for the report Marc. The wife and I played around on a little river near where you guys fished this weekend. Friday we went 1 for 4 in a couple of hours with the wife (and some of my assistance) landing this nice fish:

Saturday we went to hit it again and the rain had the river running pretty high and fast so we headed home. Spawn under a float was the key on Friday. They did'nt seem to want the waxies.

This was the wifes first steelie so she was pretty geeked. I think we have another one hooked on stream fishing. She even said that she like this type of fishing better than the big lake:eek: :eek: .

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That area looks real familiar. Congrats to her on a great fish. Were you using steelhead or salmon spawn?

Marc

·
Super Moderator
3,181 Posts
Salmon spawn, cured with borax, rinsed and stored in mineral oil. Yeah, some people say that stuff don't work, but that is all I've ever used.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's interesting you say that. I too was against using old spawn, no matter how it was cured, but this year I had a full mason jar of Salmon spawn Shoeman had cured from two years ago and it was the ticket. I just wish Ralf could remember how he cured it...lol

Marc

·
Super Moderator
20,621 Posts
After looking at the milky residue at the bottom of the jar, I'm convinced it was done with Boric Acid.

BTW, remind me to change the line on my walkin' stick. :eek:

Bob, be prepared to have Jody out-fish ya from now on. "Everyone caught fish, but you"... lol

·
Super Moderator
3,181 Posts
LOL Ralf. Anymore, I'd rather have it that way. I get as much (or more) enjoyment out of watching someone else fight the fish and helping them land it as I do catching it myself.

I hooked that fish right in front of my feet and promply handed the rod to Jodi. She could not believe how powerful those fish are. I was grinning from ear to ear watching her.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
I have an 8.5', 9', and 2 10' and love them as well. Looking to get either the 11' or the 10.5' for fishing floats and to use on the pier/beach (although those 10' are nice for that). I try to convince everyone buying new steelhead stuff to take a look at these rods as they are the "best bang for your buck". The service Grigg provides is top notch as well-especially for having no real "warranty".

·
Super Moderator
3,181 Posts
Yeah, I've had two of the 10-1/2's. The first one lost a fight with a rolling propane tank. It was replaced with no questions asked even after I told them it was my fault. I really like the back bone and tip sensitivity of those rods.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts