Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This'll be my first year staying in the UP year-round, and only my second year duck hunting so I apologize if this is a dumb question. How much hunting pressure can I expect as a general rule in the EUP? I've just started to look around for various lakes/ponds to hunt in the fall, and most look like places nobody would be at. However, I've seen lakes I fish that I would have never expected to see another boat up here have 25 cars parked out front seemingly at random times. Is there any way to give myself a ballpark judgment on what they'll be like during the season? The last thing I want to do is set up where somebody else hunts/around a bunch of other people. Is it unrealistic to expect to have some spots all to myself? I don't want to lose time on the water, but I have been considering just taking opening day to drive around and see what it's like.

·
Registered
296 Posts
As with anyplace else in the state... if its public land... expect company... if its the weekend, expect A LOT of company.

If you can hunt midweek you have a much better chance at having some of the remote potholes all to yourself.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Yup, weekdays weekdays weekdays! Scout a few spots and have plan a,b,c, and D if your other options are taken.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm on Millecoquin lake, which I plan to stay off of because I know quite a few people hunt out here. I don't think I'll go farther than about an hour away.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Opening weekend can be a zoo. After that the pressure drops the further in the season you go. In a couple of weeks, you can have the place to yourself.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Find the small water in the woods and you can fast a furious shooting may have a small walk on occasion but some quick limits (many 5min mixed bag limits)and little pressure. And if you like jump shooting there are many many opportunities on these small waters

·
Registered
160 Posts
Spend more time looking and less time hunting. Treat it like goose hunting and don't hunt till you find birds. Not only will you find some good grouse and deer spots, you will learn the land.
Keep a journal cause once you know where they are and when it's pretty consistent within a week year to year.
There are places the birds stack up, and places where they trade regularly. The TAHQ river is maze of flats and marshes near you.
There are some small bodies of water near the big lake that will get covered with divers in any serious blow except straight north. There are others nearby that don't.
Not trying to waste your time, I promise its the way to birds, find them set up there and limit on drakes

·
Registered
207 Posts
^^! Definitely think inland and glass anything slightly suspect, first week or two is a madhouse in " obvious" spots

Sent from my C771 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I want to focus on puddle ducks, but if I wanted to find divers how small of water could I find them on? I've seen goldeneye all over in small bodies of water, but no other divers.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I hunted munuscong for the opener.....once. Was crazy. Another time first week of October I was in the central up on a bear hunt and found a DU project area and hunted almost every evening for ducks. Never saw another hunter.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yea I used to live on the south end of the bay, certainly got wild lol. Some of those southern boys just don't have the etiquette part down pat. After the first few days the ponds are the place to be. Google earth!!

Sent from my C771 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
There aren't any ducks up there! J/K...I went up to Munuscong Bay for the first time last season and going again for this year's opener.

There were quite a few hunters, but seemed to be enough marsh for us all to have our space (at least where we were). Day one was fast and furious with mostly redheads with a few bluebills, ringnecks, and mallards.

Day two was a lot tougher. Two of us shot 3 ringnecks that came in right at the start of shooting hours, and
1 lone hen mallard that dive bombed in from the side. We saw a few ducks at a distance, but none were coming anywhere close to any decoys.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Birds get blown out of there on Saturday. Sunday is always a blowout.

As for pressure. It gets worse up there every year IMO. Still do a week trip up there every year but having lots more company as of late. Just spend more scouting time then hunting and your hunting will be tons better

·
Registered
11,997 Posts
I hunted up for the first time last yr on a pretty awesome well known marsh. My buddy had hunted it the last few yrs and told us to expect a couple of parties. We went up with him and had an awesome time. We were the only people on the marsh. Killed a limit of redheads and a few bluebills. We took 5 geese too. Can't wait to go back.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Heading up to the bay for the opener for the first time this year too. Will be scouting Thursday and Friday. Any recommendations of what time to get on the water? I've read a lot of guys will spend the night to save their spots, but just curious of others experience. It can't come soon enough

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Heading up to the bay for the opener for the first time this year too. Will be scouting Thursday and Friday. Any recommendations of what time to get on the water? I've read a lot of guys will spend the night to save their spots, but just curious of others experience. It can't come soon enough
I try to be no later then 2am but everyone has their own style. It can make for a long drive home with lots of red bull pulling an all nighter.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts

We scouted and got out there at midnight. Then had people come out and set up all over us. Had 4 groups within probably a 200 yard circle around us including the guys that got there 5 minutes before shooting time and set up 30 yards away. I never fired a shot.
Second day we went to a walk in spot on the st Mary's river and had it all to ourselves. Shot teal mallards and bluebills.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
It was nice having those all nighter groups last year. That was the only way we could find our spot in that nasty fog.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts