Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we made the trip out 6 miles. there were a few different trails to follow, we were told on shore by a fellow fisherman that a atv went through out there about 5 miles out.
well we came to a spot where there was newer ice slightly covered with snow, low and behold there were 2 long 4by4s one laying across a square hole and the other sticking straight up. we could see sign that someone recovered somthing off the bottom. the water was 16 foot in that spot.
we could not get to our marks so we turned around and went east some more we got out to 19 fow the ice was 11 inches.
the fishing was sloooow.
I lost one small eye at the hole and marked several fish.
we will get them next time

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Where did you guys launch out of? I was out 6 miles outta King last night and never found any bad ice? (unless you went across the last crack) where myself and everyone else out that far was tucked up next to.. I was only in 13.6 fow.. just wondering where to stay away from!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
we made the trip out 6 miles. there were a few different trails to follow, we were told on shore by a fellow fisherman that a atv went through out there about 5 miles out.
well we came to a spot where there was newer ice slightly covered with snow, low and behold there were 2 long 4by4s one laying across a square hole and the other sticking straight up. we could see sign that someone recovered somthing off the bottom. the water was 16 foot in that spot.
we could not get to our marks so we turned around and went east some more we got out to 19 fow the ice was 11 inches.
the fishing was sloooow.
Jig post the #'s were the bad spot is out their. Thank's for the report Jig

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we launched out of the s.e side of the bay. I can not give the rd end name as I was sworn to secrecy. how ever the bad area is only about 1-2 miles s. east of the first plug.
hope this helps

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
ok thanks was waaay east of u guys.. thanks for the info! You guys must have been the group that I could see with the bino's.. I think I gotta good idea where u launched from :D Good luck out there and be safe!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
callahan rd is where they launched from, friends of our group. all gear recovered, no one hurt. come on guys post where danger areas are, everyone and their brother are launching from the east side theres no secret launches. good luck be safe

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
callahan rd is where they launched from, friends of our group. all gear recovered, no one hurt. come on guys post where danger areas are, everyone and their brother are launching from the east side theres no secret launches. good luck be safe
The same water can be fished from about a half a dozen launch spots on the east side. In the future, it would be really nice if guys come across a known hazard to mark the spot and post the numbers here. I know Rich tries to do it. I don't think you'll have guys running all over your spot by posting where not to go. CDAD

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
if you post numbers you take the chance of someone avoiding that and getting into a worse or bad spot themselves. usually on this bay a bad spot is larger than one quad... jus sayin

thanks for the heads up jig

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Where did you guys launch out of? I was out 6 miles outta King last night and never found any bad ice? (unless you went across the last crack) where myself and everyone else out that far was tucked up next to.. I was only in 13.6 fow.. just wondering where to stay away from!
:yeahthat: ....BTW were you set up there when the BIG BANG hit around 1:30--2pm I about ripped through my shanty trying to git out.:yikes: Spot sucked as soon as the convoy hit the ice.We moved away from the group and went into 10 -12 fow and found some decent eyes.The key is to run from the crowd I guess.Just not too far eh Jig.GL

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am glad your friends got all their gear back and are all safe.
the problem with stating a specific launch location is then where will I park???
I believe there is room for about 15 vehicles to park on callahan rd.
walter WHY didnt you post the bad spot????"
anyone with half a brain can look at sat pics like I do and get a good idea where all the new ice is

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Thanks for the warning Jig head! The people who aren't familiar with the area should be warned to not head southwest from there to avoid the hot pond area, ice is usually weird not far from there.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
the fishing was sloooow.
Careful out there, Ray!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
JiGhead,Read posts from couple days ago its there. I myself was out of king rd and was not in the exact area as you were. Relax man the post was intended to help. Of course it was difficult for us to get gps #'s from our buds when gps was in 15 fow. Good luck this season,be safe,help your fellow fisherman!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
we launched out of the s.e side of the bay. I can not give the rd end name as I was sworn to secrecy. how ever the bad area is only about 1-2 miles s. east of the first plug.
hope this helps
Wow,
You are sworn to secrecy so it is ok if someone gets hurt or worse. I would expect more from a member with 1100 posts. This secrecy stuff is getting worse. Damn fish hogs:)

·
Registered
456 Posts
N 43 42.031' W 083 45.321' is right near the area where the hole in the ice is. DO NOT GO TOWARDS THE PLUG FROM HERE. I was out there for the recovery and two hits of the spud and you were through the ice. All gear was recovered no one was wet or hurt when the machine went down or during recovery process. I was working @ the Karn plant and this whole area was open water after we had that warm weather wind and rain. BE SAFE OUT THERE AND DON'T GO ALONE!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Wow,
You are sworn to secrecy so it is ok if someone gets hurt or worse. I would expect more from a member with 1100 posts. This secrecy stuff is getting worse. Damn fish hogs:)
IMO,He did state the bad spot,just not where he was parking.The spot is pretty clear when you look at the Modis satelite picture,which I think everyone should consider doing before trying to reach the promise land.Go get em boys but be smart.:fish:

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Wow,
My boy if you knew Ray you would re-think those words that you just typed. I thought they were going to get a little tougher and start banning some of the trouble makers. You, Son, owe jighead an apology. As far as I'm concerned you just unplugged yourself from a group of guys here who would of helped you out at the drop of a hat.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
some of the guys on this site just blow my mind.
I did state where the bad area was approx. but it is hard to pin it to one specific spot. because it takes up about 5 miles wide by 10 miles long :yikes:
we did however run into a fellow fisherman on shore that was waiting on a friend tonight. when his freind got there he had a head on accident with his snowmobile and a avalanche, the truck won that battle. needles to say his friend did not go.
so we waited for him to tag allong so he did not have to worry about any bad spots alone.
I will just ignore posts from guys like slowpolack :dizzy:

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Jighead,
I guess I really dont see why everyone else made such a "BIG DEAL" about your post, 1st off you didnt have to start the thread in the first place, so I commend you for that.. 2nd. Come on people the vast majority of people who are on the bay and who have been on the bay as well as this site, know the (new ice) is NOT QUITE SAFE YET!! Sat photo's and just about EVERY OTHER POST on here in the past week or more has talked about this.. Use your head, be safe, check the ice.. Word of wisdom, if no one else has made any sort of tracks in a certain area, or there's no one else around, its probably for a reason (so check before you go)!! Dont go bashing someone for trying to inform people in the first place! Be Smart, stay safe and tight lines.....

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
My boy if you knew Ray you would re-think those words that you just typed. I thought they were going to get a little tougher and start banning some of the trouble makers. You, Son, owe jighead an apology. As far as I'm concerned you just unplugged yourself from a group of guys here who would of helped you out at the drop of a hat.
I agree with Soup, and I also want to say. Ray I'm Sorry that this thread turned into this much of a mess.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts