Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to wrap my head around the concept of earn a buck restrictions. Am I correct is making the assumption that it would have to be by zone (or DMU) and not state wide? If so would the buck tag then be good state wide? What would the alternative be for hunters who only hunted in a zone (or DMU) where the population precluded or severly limited the harvest of antlerless deer? I'm not trying to stir the pot I just keep having this mental image of November 15 on crowded state land where every hunter is trying to kill a doe to run and get their buck tag and that image is along the lines of the opening of Saving Private Ryan.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
That is a problem I see with earn a buck in this State. Making us shot a doe first to get a buck tag, will increase pressure on state land.
I have a solution to this which is an earn a buck but would start just a bit diffrent.
The first year you are given a doe and a buck tag. You use them as you want. But to beable to get a buck tag for the next year you must take a doe the year before and have it checked in.
With this system you would still have a choice on when to take the doe.
Now if you did not take a doe the first year you would need to harvest a doe before being issued another buck tag.
So if you did not harvest a doe the first year, you would not beawarded a buck tag the second untill you filled a doe tag. than you would get a buck tag for that year. But to get a buck tag for the next year you would need to harvest another doe to be awarded a buck tag the following year.

·
Premium Member
31,080 Posts
The population problem is in Zone 3 so make zone 3 EAB. If some one is in possesion of a buck in zone 3 and they haven't tagged an antlerless yet they are a poacher. If they harvested the buck in a non EAB zone, and transport the buck into zone 3, then they better have proof that they officially checked it in.
If you harvested an antlerless the previous season it would allow you two (2) seasons of grace toward a buck before you had to shoot another antlerless, unless, of course, you shoot a buck, then you start over.
Truth is that an EAB season would probably only need to be implimented for 2-3 years in a row before the problem was brought under control and then a OBR would be readily accepted.
We'll find out very soon how differing regs by zone are accepted in Michigan with the hunter's choice in the U.P.
Big T

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Only certain parts of zone 3 is overpopulated. This makes it more complicated. I was talking to a DNR Biologist recently and mentioned EAB to him. He had no idea what EAB meant. Had never heard of it. Wonder why things are the way they are?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Or what about you are issued your restricted tag before the season and in order to get your unrestricted tag you have to shoot a doe? Just my spin on it.

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
Or what about you are issued your restricted tag before the season and in order to get your unrestricted tag you have to shoot a doe? Just my spin on it.
In WI and I assume other EAB states, you can harvest a doe during archery season and it counts as your EAB doe, so a lot of does would be harvested before the rifle opener. Also, you can buy both tags at the same time (before the opener). You just have to have a legal doe on the ground, before you pull the trigger on a buck.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
I actually like the system that goes like this, you get an antlerless tag and a buck tag to begin with. If/when you get an antlerless deer, you are then issued an ANY sex tag. Here's the hitch. If you get another doe you get another ANY sex tag. You can do this as many times as you'd like through the season UNTIL you get your buck with the ANY sex tag. Then you're done. Shoot as many doe as you choose until you take a buck.

·
Premium Member
5,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why not just make the combo one doe/one buck statewide.
My initial response is because there are some areas of the state with high hunter density and low deer populations where you don't want every hunter to have an antlerless tag. It's part of the crux of my question. I'm trying to understand how EAB could be practically applied.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I do not see how EAB would work here with out a visual check in process. In Wisconsin they have a manditory check in, where once you register your doe your buck tag is validated by the DNR. This does a couple of things one it stops guys from calling in and saying they shot a doe, when in fact they didn't. It also helps in controlling of "sharing" does, becasue the DNR will cut the ear or make a identifing mark on the deer. The reason being is some hunters were trying to have a doe registered multiple times by giving them to their buddy back at camp to take in and register it again. The other reason for the registeration and validation was again for visual inspection of the doe. Again guys would pick up fresh road kills and try and regfister them as deer they shot. My point is there is alot of issues that have to be thought of before a plan like this can go into affect. Trust me Wisconsin is only one step in front of MIchigan in the screwed up department.:lol: Also Wisconsin EAB is DMU specific and is mainly in the southern part of the state as well, and is highly used in the three counties on the west side that is high QDM.

·
Registered
650 Posts
:yeahthat:

Earn a buck is a bad idea, and there is no way it would work in michigan (requires way more attention and resources than michigan is willing to put forth).
As far as "resources" I'm assuming you mean the people that would be doing the check-ins. If the state would make it so any of the employees of stores and businesses that sold licenses would be "wards" of the state and they would have the authorization to check in does.

Just by upping the ante and letting us shoot 5 does this yr does'nt mean that people will do it. I will honestly try as I have people that will take the deer and use them, but there are so many people out there that don't have the time to put in to kill 5 does and so many people that are still old school about killing does that they would rather kill a spike horn or go deerless

just my thoughts

MI88

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
Only certain parts of zone 3 is overpopulated.
Curious what you are basing this statement on?

According to the DNR's 2005 population goals only 3 of 31 SLP DMU's are at or under population goals and those are Wayne, Macomb & Monroe counties, which have the highest human population and degree of development in the state, which has crowded out much of the resident deer population and is the reason that it's lower than in other counties.

The other 28 SLP DMU's are grossly overpopulated, many as much as 200% or higher of stated goals. The average SLP DMU is at 158% of the DNR's stated goals.

According to the DNR the vast majority of the SLP is overpopulated so I'm wondering what your statement above is based on?

·
Registered
17 Posts
As far as "resources" I'm assuming you mean the people that would be doing the check-ins. If the state would make it so any of the employees of stores and businesses that sold licenses would be "wards" of the state and they would have the authorization to check in does.
MI88
I don't think having dead bloody deer streaming through parking lots of the local meijers and wally words is such a good idea.

·
Premium Member
31,080 Posts
I don't think having dead bloody deer streaming through parking lots of the local meijers and wally worlds is such a good idea.
Where do you think most spikes and forks are shown off? It sure aint Cabela's.:lol::lol::lol:

·
Premium Member
5,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So far I haven't seen a convincing argument for the practical application of EAB. Come on guys. Convince me.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Skibum, don't let this thread start you thinking that EAB is a bad thing. When done properly it is a great tool. Especially in areas of high antleress deer populations. It works especially well in areas that are dominated by mostly privatley owned lands. Even though amny of us on sites like M.S. see benifits of deer managment and the tools asscoiated with it, i.e. EAB there are still many other land owners that don't want to understand or bother with it. That is where EAB plays its best rolls. What I mean is there are alot of "old family" farms that don't belive in doe harvest. Or just camps that don't belive it is a good idea to harvestdoes, you know the old addage of if you kill one doe you kill next years deer. Heck one of our guys still believes that to this day. This is where EAB really plays the biggest and best role, it forces these groups of people to help manage the deer for the future. But like stated before unless the DNR is willing to put in place acheck in process to visually check the deer EAB will not work in Michigan.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Munster, My opinion is based on first hand experience. The area where I live, Southern St.Clair Co., is not overpopulated. There are a few deer here and there, but nothing to write home about. I do not believe everything that the DNR tells me. Do you?

·
Banned
2,125 Posts
why force me to kill an animal i dont want to kill?eab is just that.if you want to see real results go one buck per year,period.hand out doe tags where they are needed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts