Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody do any good. I was out this morning but had zero opportunity for teal. Saw about a dozen. This warm weather sucks.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Went out the opener and yesterday mainly going for teal but brought a handful of geese decoys and ended up only taking one goose between the two days. We did see some flocks flying yesterday but all up high without any interest in our spread

·
Registered
144 Posts
We got 4 this morning, and saw about a dozen more. Had lots (50+) woodies come in, so we weren't very fast on the draw to ensure we could identify the birds. Ended up not taking a few shots at teal as they were by us before we could for sure identify them. However, I would rather not shoot and keep this season going after the 3 year trial.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Went out yesterday morning around Defoe Island and never fired a shot. We might have seen one teal but it was cool having mallards cup and land in the decoys. The mallards made the trip worth while plus I had a pleasant day with my oldest boy as he prepares to move to Montana.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Got out with my son on Friday. I had him do a lot of skeet shooting this summer and it paid off. He shot at two bluewing teal and got both of them. We ended up with 5 total and we got every bird we had shot at. Went the next day and never saw a teal.

·
Premium Member
7,082 Posts
We targeted teal 3 days. Shot 8, 7 and 0. I really think the hot week of weather simply stalled the migration and after the birds were shot up their numbers were not supported by more migrating birds.

Yesterday was a mighty frustrating day. We were set up about a 1/4 mile from another group that was HORRIBLE!!!! First, they shot at ducks at 6:38am. I just wish ding dongs would read the regulations. They shot a ton and I told the boys that they HAD to be shooting at all ducks because we just were not seeing the teal, only mallards and woodies. Once it got to where we could follow the birds going near their spread we confirmed what we suspected, shooting at every duck that flew. They were not very good shots, fortunately.

I do believe they were visited by a CO at the boat launch. I seriously hope they got the book thrown at them.

The kids did get to see some tremendous flocks of mallards work beautifully into our spread and having them back-peddling at 5 yards was a sight we all just dream about. The boys are hooked and I think it will be easy to convince them to get up early next weekend when they can actually poke at those flocks.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Hunted Friday morning on an inland lake in the NW LP that is adjacent to big water, and saw no teal. Geese started flying around 10.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Hunted first three days. Got 4,4 and 15 Not many birds around. Never saw more then 20 teal in a morning. Third day we saw 16 teal and killed 15. One was a nice banded hen greenwing

Was slower then last year but still a fun time. Can't wait for next year

·
Registered
122 Posts
Went out yesterday morning around Defoe Island and never fired a shot. We might have seen one teal but it was cool having mallards cup and land in the decoys. The mallards made the trip worth while plus I had a pleasant day with my oldest boy as he prepares to move to Montana.
We had the same thing happen a mixed flock of mostly mallards and gadwalls numbered at about 30 came in circled at reed top over us then landed just outside our spread pretty cool to see, never heard one of them quack while sitting there, which was interesting too.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Wfpbo reports zero waterfowl crossing the point over the holiday. The hunts confirmed it thursday on. No new birds. Talked to several groups monday and not one teal killed, myself included.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Had a pretty good early Teal season here. Hunted hard all 7 days and ended with 5 birds total in our hunting party for the week. Weather was absolutely horrendous in the evenings. I remember two a days in HS and I don't remember working this hard! Got caught the one night we had that massive storm in the swamp. Probably the first time I've ever really feared for my life! Thanks again to all of you who have posted in my threads and answered my many noob/beginner questions and for getting me started on the right foot with this great sport!
Blind (ET 2015).jpg
Joe (ET 2015).jpg
Teal Amigos (ET 2015).jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts