Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doubt I'll try early teal...but I've been thinking about it. What does everyone run for decoys? I've read a few posts that say just break out your hen mallard deeks and use them. Do you gain any advantage by buying specific teal decoys? Also...living up north if I do buy teal decoys should I buy the specific early season ones?

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
They are dumb that time of year and will decoy to anything. I've shot plenty over goose decoys.
Just use 8-9 hen mallard decoys that should be enough.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
save your money, use mallard and goose decoys.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you have a decoy addiction... get teal decoys, if you like the bare min use hen mallards and a spinner .... 6-18, follow the scout numbers.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also have a decoy addiction. And re-homed some other junk sitting in the garage. So...this year's decoy purchases are as follows-

Ghg pro-grade early season blue wings $51 delivered with taxes included.

Ghg pro-grade hybrid black duck pair $18 (free shipping as I bought my son a pair of 1000g waders for $60 plus some other stuff to hit the free shipping mark)

Higdom full size goose floaters. Ordered one four pack $106 shipped. Got a bonus second four pack included and ended up with 8. Took a don't ask don't tell stance as this vendor has shorted me in the past and didn't make it right. Now I'm ahead.

15983761041191896359442246275556.jpg
15983762172681860460144792733455.jpg

The goose floaters fill a hole in my spread. I now have my coots, Geese, and the hybrid black ducks for confidence blocks. The hybrid blacks...not sure what to think. The detail looks nice. But really they are just a darker bigger high visibility mallard wannabe.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I also have a decoy addiction. And re-homed some other junk sitting in the garage. So...this year's decoy purchases are as follows-

Ghg pro-grade early season blue wings $51 delivered with taxes included.

Ghg pro-grade hybrid black duck pair $18 (free shipping as I bought my son a pair of 1000g waders for $60 plus some other stuff to hit the free shipping mark)

Higdom full size goose floaters. Ordered one four pack $106 shipped. Got a bonus second four pack included and ended up with 8. Took a don't ask don't tell stance as this vendor has shorted me in the past and didn't make it right. Now I'm ahead.

View attachment 568463 View attachment 568465

The goose floaters fill a hole in my spread. I now have my coots, Geese, and the hybrid black ducks for confidence blocks. The hybrid blacks...not sure what to think. The detail looks nice. But really they are just a darker bigger high visibility mallard wannabe.
Intial Thoughts on the Higdon Goose Floaters??

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I run 6 geese and 12 blacks and 2 spinners if allowed. Hen mallards if I need more but the geese and blacks are more visible. Steve

·
Registered
11,185 Posts
I like teal decoys but you definately dont need them. The wood duck suggestion is a great one. Using hen mallards is fine too. In my opinion if money were part ofn
the issue in the decision i would spend the money on a teal spinner. Teal love spinners. My two cents.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I like teal decoys but you definately dont need them. The wood duck suggestion is a great one. Using hen mallards is fine too. In my opinion if money were part ofn
the issue in the decision i would spend the money on a teal spinner. Teal love spinners. My two cents.
Does it make a difference what type of spinner you're using? I picked up a pair of Mojo mini elite mallard drakes. Was planning on tossing one out and seeing what happens.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts