Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are there any early season grouse reports for 2015 such as drumming and nesting and has any one seen grouse chicks yet

·
Registered
160 Posts
I heard a good report from someone in the northern lower peninsula banding WC saying it was very good and they moved LOTS of grouse... hope the weather is good to all those chicks.

10,812 Posts
When I was at my central U.P. camp in May I heard drumming all over where ever I went.

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
With all the rain we had we will know in a couple weeks

·
Registered
878 Posts
I've heard good reports - same type of thing from banders in the NLP who are reporting lots of grouse.

Here's hoping, right?

Ray

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
I found more grouse while banding this year than last. Thought Jit had found me a WC brood but when I got to him a hen grouse left this nest. She didn't go but a little hop, took a couple pictures and a quick count before leaving. Not sure how many one hen can produce, but there were 20 eggs in this nest. Seemed like a lot to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
625 Posts
I've been hearing drumming every day for the last few weeks. On 6/10 I saw a hen grouse along the side of the road with 8-10 chicks. That was right before a forecast for a LOT of rain. We didn't get all of the rain predicted so I'm hopeful for a decent survival rate.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
I found more grouse while banding this year than last. Thought Jit had found me a WC brood but when I got to him a hen grouse left this nest. She didn't go but a little hop, took a couple pictures and a quick count before leaving. Not sure how many one hen can produce, but there were 20 eggs in this nest. Seemed like a lot to me.
Cannot say I have seen a ton of grouse nests but some years I would stumble onto one or two. The folks I worked with would find some too. The most eggs I can recall seeing or hearing about in a nest was a dozen and that number seemed to be the most common amount. Never saw less than about eight.

Have not run into a brood yet this year but I have heard more grouse drumming this year than I have in quite some time. Last year I did not hear a single bird drumming and my season was less than dismal. If numbers of drumming males translates directly into birds this October I am going to have a banner year (if I can shoot straight). FM

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Buddy of mine was just up in the northern LP last weekend fishing on a river and said they were drumming a ton.

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
I came home from Mio Sunday and seen 4 adult grouse killed on the road side. I rode my RZR through most of the cover I hunt and never seen and birds grouse or woodcock.

·
Registered
291 Posts
We annually head up to the Lovell's area for the trout opener. Heard more birds this year than last and maybe more than the past 5. The opener stunk for fishing as it did last year. Two long winters set the fishing back a couple weeks. Went back two weeks later and hooked plenty of browns and brookies.

Should be a good season if the chicks made it through the spring.

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
A friend who lives on Drummond Island just west of Turkey Farm Rd sent a message last night that he saw a hen grouse with 5 chicks trailing her cross the road yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately he also reported that the coyote population on the east end of the island has taken a noticeable increase. He and his neighbors are seeing more bears as well.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Well if I didn't have the itch already I do now. How many days over the next do you guys think I'll spend on YouTube watching grouse hunting videos? :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Middle of the cycle, wet and cold during prime hatch and antidotal reports of small broods. 5 in a brood in June is really bad news and I've heard of even smaller ones as well.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I was fly fishing in Alcona last weekend and herd lots of drumming both days. I flushed a wood cock in our drive way pulling in and I haven't seen one there in a few years. I also stumbled on a grouse and 9 or 10 chicks right at the river edge. I have never seen the chicks before and it was really something to see the little birds pop up out of the tall grass. The first one caught me off guard and I stood still as the rest followed. They could only fly 10 feet or so and they all took off followed by the mother.

·
Registered
325 Posts
It's either bottom or slightly increasing, cycle never varies by MUCH, my guess, up from last yr, slightly.

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
I don't believe in cycle as much as weather

1 - 20 of 34 Posts