Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious for those of you that hunted the "early" season how you felt the change in date (Being moved a week later for the start) either affected your hunt negatively, positively, or not at all.

For me personally (according to my hunting log), while I heard far less gobbles, it was still a positive season!

Just wondering...

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I believe the hunting of unpressured turkeys is the single biggest factor in making the 1st season have the highest success percentage. I personally always hunt the late season for the extra days afield.

The week change this year did not seem to effect those that I know had the early hunt.

Dan

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Do you know if it is going to be the same next year?

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
I thought the date was fine. I like the early season because the birds havent been pressured and the temperature is still cool. They gobbled and decoyed well for the most part. I dont like to hunt near as much when im sitting against a tree sweating :rolleyes: ....Not to mention the mosquitos! :dizzy: :rant: :lol: In addition, the folage isnt on and you can see the birds coming if your hunting in the timber. But, thats a double edged sword because the folage makes it easier to get close to the roost, as well as conceal yourself from their excellent sight.

In the end theres pros and cons to both. The first hunt works out best for me.;)

·
Registered
14,720 Posts
One Eye said:
The week change this year did not seem to effect those that I know had the early hunt.
My two oldest boys had early season tags. I took them out four times during the first six days of the season - I also didn't notice anything different as compared to the early hunt last year.

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
I think it made a huge difference for the late season guys. The farther into May, the harder the hunting is.

I'd like to see it go back the way it was with late season opening on the 1st.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
My new job affected my turkey hunting more than the date change ! :rant:

·
Premium Member
8,061 Posts
The date will go back like it was.

The opening of the first hunt has to be after such and such a Monday of April or some thing like that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts