Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went and set up another deer stand this morning and had a few flights of teal "buzz the tower",,,, these "migs" were LOW. Lots of woodies too. I hunt mostly SE MI, in the potholes and marshes, I'm not so worried about the woodies because I seem to see alot of those, all year long. But I RARELY see ANY teal, I think I've shot 3 in the last 15 yrs. around here. I know they're the first to head south, thats why I don't see many, but whos in favor of an early teal hunt in MI. Why and Why Not???

·
Registered
20,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder how big of a problem that would be? Hunters shooting everything,, and teal. Ya know theres a few southern states and western actually that have "teal" seasons and "pintail" seasons. I know what you mean about ID'ing ducks though,,, years back at Harsens, the guy at the counter was getting ready to call the CO and have him "fine" me, until,,, "I" explained, what species of ducks I had. This guy was argueing with me over a hen pintail that he SWORE was a hen mallard:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
See that's what I'm sayin, most guys havea hard time ID'ing ducks they're holding let alone while on wing. Yes alot of guys would do fine but there would still be alot of mallards killed.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It would be nice to have, but you guys are right, the IDing would be the problem.

On the other hand, I don't think Ohio and Indiana are complaining about receiving Michigan money from those diehard teal hunters.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Lived in Connecticut where they had an early coastal Teal season, it was a blast. IDing was fairly simple since the only other bird around were Black ducks. Haven't seen many BW Teal around here over the past few years but most of the potholes that I have hunted are dried up now, and believe that the Geese have pushed them out of their traditional nesting areas on the bigger waters. Still get into some GW Teal around mid-season which is some good shooting. Early season IDing is difficult for most since a fair number of birds haven't acheived their full plumage yet.

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
According to those in the know,Michigan can't get an early teal/woodie season because we're designated as a "breeding state".The concern IS we'd shoot the wrong ducks.May as well close the whole season since we have a pintail and canvasback season.Might shoot one unknowingly during the closed part of the season.If you aren't sure of the ID on a duck,don't shoot it.
Wondering,don't these other states have any other ducks flying during their teal/woodie season,or do they know their ducks better??Also was wondering,does their teal/woody season count towards their regular season total allowable hunting days?Or is it an extra hunting oppurtunity?

·
Registered
440 Posts
It is a seperate season for teal. Don't get to hunt wood ducks at the same time though. SHoot a wood duck and it is a $75 fine and birds are taken away. The CO's are out in force during the early season to make sure those tickets are written as well.

I would be more concerned about getting the dove season passed right now. That would be HUGE for Michigan. Remember to write your house reps to let them know you are in favor making the dove a game bird.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I for one would like to see an early teal season again. Michigan once had a "early teal season" back in the '70's I believe, if my old timers memory serves me right.

Many inept hunters and even flagrant violators were observed shooting "other ducks" and it was bye-bye teal season.

If ducks are allowed to work in close and the hunter has done his homework, duck ID is not that difficult, especially with ducks the size of teal. It boils down to, if your not sure don't shoot.

Now that we're tagged a "production state" I think it would be very difficult to get a teal season.

I agree with 3006 let's fight a battle we have a chance of winning and put our efforts into trying to get a dove season.

·
Registered
13,900 Posts
C'mon guys, mistaking a mallard for a teal??? Even in early season, there isn't much of an excuse for mistaking those two. I recall back in my first couple of years of duck hunting when I was a "shoot first, ID second" kind of a guy, but even then teal were pretty easy to pick out. Now I shot a huge drake GW about 10 years back at Maple River that I could see possibly mistaking for something else, but not your typical teal. I just think we have so much else happening early in the season with goose and the youth only hunt, let alone bow hunting, that I think it would be overkill to have the teal only season. I do recall back in the 70's when we did have one or two of the special seasons, but I don't recall many hunting them. I agree with 3006......let's get the dove season instead.

And to William Bonney, there are lots of teal left around right up until ice up. Guess you just hunt areas that they don't frequent. Last year there were a bunch at Fish Point very late. And Shiawassee typically holds a bunch late. One time at Harsen's several years ago we were shooting big Greenwings in a snow storm in November. And I got some last year out on the bay in the snow. So they are around. Not many Bluewings stick around past October though.

·
Registered
20,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Teal, until "ice up" ????? LOL , are you kidding???? I guess I am hunting in the places they don't frequent. Although, I have seen teal at Harsens, in November,, but you'll see just about EVERYTHING at ANYTIME on Harsens. As far as violators go,, on a teal season,,,, if you were THAT bad at ID'ing ducks,, maybe they could allow 1 non teal in your bag limit, so if you did make a mistake it'd be easier to "know" the next time. This is all "wishful thinkin", course. One other point alot of guys are stopping on is the "dove" season. Would you guys eat the doves? Or are they a type of nuisance? I just don't get all the "fuss" over it.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
We shot several Teals last year in the bay after ice up. We shot some BW's and it was funny because they hit the ice and got blown half way to Au Gres:D But I'd rather have a woodie season than a Teal.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
GoneFishin - Vaguely remember the early Teal season , that's pretty much all we had around during the early season. 10 - 15 pts. each under the old point system, loads of fun. Really needed to ID your birds back then or your day could end after 1 shot. What I really miss is the glory days of the old bonus Bluebill season in December we had for a few years back then on designated waters. They used to buzz around in swarms at that time even on the inland lakes, not sure we'll ever see that again. Definetly need to get the Dove season going.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I don't think most duck hunters know what they are missing. By the regular opener most of the teal are already gone, so they don't think a early season would be a big deal. Fresh off another youth hunt on Sag Bay(4 years in a row), I can tell you that there are 10's of thousands of teal around. Blue and green. By the opener, the blues are gone. They started migrating weeks ago. I just don't think it's right that the other states all get a season and we don't. Why in the world does it matter if we area "production area"? So we can't shoot them because they were born here but all the southern states can?

I've always been a proponent of scrapping that last 2 days because of iffy weather and ice, and adding 2 days for early teal.

·
Registered
550 Posts
C'mon guys, mistaking a mallard for a teal??? Even in early season, there isn't much of an excuse for mistaking those two.

Unless you are still new to duck hunting, I have a real problem with someone confusing mallards and teal. Teal are the jet fighters of the duck world for me. It is my pleasure to waste a few shells trying to take some BW every year....usually the first weekend as like a lot of others, I rarely see them after the first cold weather.

I would like a teal season too, but I would HATE to deal with the skeeters. :) I would make an exception though.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Are you kidding me ??? If someone cant tell the differance between a teal and any other kind of duck they have a real problem. The only thing I have mistaken teal for is snipe. And that season is open at the same time anyway. I feel that anytime you make a decision weather to open a season or not is based on someone breaking the laws surronding it and not sound scientific advise there is something wrong with the picture. lets give people the benifit of the doubt and assume they are going be able to identify the right ducks rather than go with the notion that they are not. We all should be doing that during the season anyways shouldnt we??

·
Registered
440 Posts
I don't think the problem would really be with mallards but with all the wood ducks that are flying around.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
William, come up to saginaw bay and you will see all the teal you want for the first 2 days. Then a good number of them will be pushed out. But we have done well on the teal in the second week.

grizzly.

·
Registered
20,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The "Bay" has given me a lil' "sour taste" in my mouth. Its seems like everytime I go up there, I always get the group of IDIOTS that set up next to me. And it seems like its either feast or famine up there,,,, and for my last few trips its been FAMINE!! Didn't even pick my gun up.

·
Registered
13,900 Posts
WH Bonney,
Yep, right until ice up. There are several areas I hunt where the greenwings hang very late. Like I said, last year at Fish Point we got into some very late. I really don't shoot at them that much anymore, but my brother loves the little suckers.
He had a ball that day, and I was just pointing them out for him as they buzzed us. Lots of fun, but tough to hit sometimes.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts