Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well, now I don't feel as bad either, lol. We got skunked as well. Did find a bunch of crappie and big gills stacked up in the back of a cove in about 16" of water. The problem was that the water was absolutely like glass, and just the splash of your bobber would send them scattering. I did find about 2 million minnows stacked up next to shore in another spot. Oddly enough there was absolutely zero predatory fish nearby. Hoping to get back out in the next few days...we will see.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm thinking I may have spooked the fish in the canal as I was in the slab chaser. I usually go on docks and where waders to get out where no docks. These temperatures r going to make things change quickly .that's fishing, gotta figure them out. Won't be long before it's game on. Saw a 16 incher from belleville lk yesterday.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hopefully this rain will cheer the fish up. I've Been checking some of the local canals and have been seeing all the right signs for big crappie but not a lot of fish yet. This little rain atta get things popping

·
Registered
60 Posts
I fished a small Oakland county lake on 3/21 and did pretty well on slabs. Went 16 for 20 hook ups. Fished a weed line in 8 feet of water. All fish were 10-13 inches. I decided not to over due it and left with 16 keepers for 2 anglers. Water temperature was 42 degrees. I hit the same spot 3/23 and we got skunked. Checked my usual spots around the lake and nothing. Water temp was up to 50 degrees. It went up 8 degrees in 2 days. I am a little baffled about what happened to the fish. Gonna give it another go this weekend. Good luck folks!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
They were in their eating bait fish and getting warm, Now they back out into main Lake and will stage right outside canals waiting for the right water temperatures they will be back. Have seen it happen every year for many moons.

·
Super Moderator
19,990 Posts
I think the huge fluctuation in day/night temps will have them come and go until they commit for spawning.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
nice reports just getting my pan fish poles ready to fish

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Be out chasing dem slabs Saturday and Sunday. The warm weather is coming and it's going to be game on. Good luck and hookem in the lips on a gold true turn.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts