Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past couple years I have been scouting and hunting geese in the Durand/Swartz Creek area and have had some good luck. I have a few fields left over from last year that will be good and some good prospects. So everything is looking good for a good early season in the Durand area but just found out that I will be going to school at CMU. I guess I get to start all over with scouting and connections with landowners. I know there are geese in the area but time to put some miles on the truck before the early season kicks off. It should be fun to see what I can do before opening morning in a totally new area. Everybody cross their fingers!!:yikes:

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
For the past couple years I have been scouting and hunting geese in the Durand/Swartz Creek area and have had some good luck. I have a few fields left over from last year that will be good and some good prospects. So everything is looking good for a good early season in the Durand area but just found out that I will be going to school at CMU. I guess I get to start all over with scouting and connections with landowners. I know there are geese in the area but time to put some miles on the truck before the early season kicks off. It should be fun to see what I can do before opening morning in a totally new area. Everybody cross their fingers!!:yikes:
I believe Bucks run golf course would be a good place to start following birds from. Do you mind If I start hunting Durand?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe Bucks run golf course would be a good place to start following birds from. Do you mind If I start hunting Durand?
Thanks for the recommendation. I think there are a couple golf courses in the area so I will be sure to hit those up. I will pull up Google Earth to see where all the water is at and see if I can locate a good roosting site to start from.

Your more than welcome to hunt the Durand area but you will have to ask the other 2 or 3 other riggs out there for permition :D. There are not as many birds as there was a few years back but their popluation is on the way back up. How far are you from the area?

·
Registered
584 Posts
I was delivering in the Durand, Vernon, Bancroft, Swartz Creek,.......areas today. Didnt see much as far as birds but it looks like all the farmers decided to turn over all their wheat fields on the same day. If im out there tomorrow ill give you a pm and let you know if i see any birds on fields. Im in a different area every day so it makes scouting one area difficult. Ive had permission on fields out there but its a little too far from the homestead to scout on a regular basis, so i just dont hunt that area.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation. I think there are a couple golf courses in the area so I will be sure to hit those up. I will pull up Google Earth to see where all the water is at and see if I can locate a good roosting site to start from.

Your more than welcome to hunt the Durand area but you will have to ask the other 2 or 3 other riggs out there for permition :D. There are not as many birds as there was a few years back but their popluation is on the way back up. How far are you from the area?
Check out by the airport and pohlcat golf course been working out that way seen a few geese in that area. Also watch the fields along U.S. 27 they use those fields too. Good luck

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Most of the farmers in the area are cool with hunters going onto their fields over there. As long as they do not have it leased or someone already asked permission, for the most part they were accepting of hunters. But ill be scouting down there for the opener so you have some competition. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts