Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 21 of 72 Posts

·
Administrator
17,434 Posts
Does anyone else think it is stupid earl doe weekend a week before bow opener.Seems like three months is plenty long enough for those that want a doe.
Not at all! I am going to hunt some private property in the SLP near home in hopes of putting a good 75 pounds of corn-fed venison in the freezer! I will head up to the NeLP to hunt the opener, and I may not even see a doe all week.
<----<<<

·
Registered
291 Posts
Nope, can't wait to get out this weekend. Just got permission on a new property where the farmer wants as many deer shot as possible. Should be many does hitting the dirt this weekend.

·
Registered
12,518 Posts
I think it's stupid just because I personally don't like hunting in the heat.

Having the hunt doesn't bother me though, I've just never participated. I thoroughly enjoy the late doe season though.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
I don't hunt it! I don't care for the season and I would never hunt the early doe season on my ground. To each there own but if your a big buck hunter and hunt small ground its probably a no no unless your using a bow and hunt and can keep the doe you shoot from you into the thick stuff.

·
Premium Member
10,791 Posts
Th
I think it's stupid just because I personally don't like hunting in the heat.

Having the hunt doesn't bother me though, I've just never participated. I thoroughly enjoy the late doe season though.
That is why I don't bear hunt. The times I went the skeeters were so thick and it just wasn't my cup of tea

·
Premium Member
11,218 Posts
I'm not hunting it. Only have once.

Already have a few in the freezer from damage permits. Always do my part to help local farmers. They love hunters and I love the access. Just going my part and especially for CWD. Big or small, kill em all.

Thinking of getting shirts made that say "If it's brown, it's down. Doing more than the DNR for disease prevention".

Sent from my E6810 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
9,320 Posts
I don't hunt it! I don't care for the season and I would never hunt the early doe season on my ground. To each there own but if your a big buck hunter and hunt small ground its probably a no no unless your using a bow and hunt and can keep the doe you shoot from you into the thick stuff.
Totally agree Paul. I got over 3 months to put away a couple does. Not blowing up my hunting grounds for some does I’m can shoot later. Besides the weather is usually unsavory conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Premium Member
9,651 Posts
Not stupid my neighbor down the road wants first crack at the big 10 pt .About 5 years ago his early doe season started in July when he shot a doe and fawn and left the gut piles for his next door neighbor to find .

·
Registered
18,286 Posts
Totally agree Paul. I got over 3 months to put away a couple does. Not blowing up my hunting grounds for some does I’m can shoot later. Besides the weather is usually unsavory conditions.

Unsavory weather.
No wonder you don't hunt Africa...:D

Reactions: sniper

·
Registered
7,164 Posts

So true dave! I really enjoy hunting late season. Heck I'll shoot al my doe then when I actually can enoy the deer and hunt instead of worrying about chopping up the deer because its 80 outside.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
I personally don't plan on hunting it. Usually don't. If the highs were in the 50s or low 60s I would entertain the thought of putting one in the freezer.

·
Premium Member
12,769 Posts
I am pretty focused on quality venison but during the early season most of the does are still lactating and are quite thin. Put those does in a corn field for a month and a half or two and they will be a lot better. It would make more sense to have an early buck season because they are already at their peak.

1 - 21 of 72 Posts