Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does everyone feel about the Early Antlerless Season happening before the Youth Hunt?

As for myself I'm passing on it due to my 10 year old daughter that will be out during the Youth Hunt. See will have the first go if all the morons with guns around us don't blast every doe they see.

I thought the purpose of the Youth Hunt was to give the kids the first go. So I don't understand why the DNR allowed an Early Antlerless Hunt the week before the Youth Hunt. Would have made more sense to let the kids hunt the 20th and 21st and had the Antlerless Hunt the following week.

·
Registered
36,654 Posts
Is there a reason that you can take your daughter out on the early antlerless season and the youth season? Youth get back to back weekends to hunt.

I'm glad it's held prior to archery season when every moron with a bow is out wounding every deer in sight.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Is there a reason that you can take your daughter out on the early antlerless season and the youth season? Youth get back to back weekends to hunt.

I'm glad it's held prior to archery season when every moron with a bow is out wounding every deer in sight.
pretty harsh words to group all archers in as moron. I can pretty well bet must archers put in more time shooting and knowing there stuff than must firearm hunters.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I can't blame him with his wording. I seen what the early season did to hunting and the economy in the tb zone.
Makes me sick when you drive by a guys place the second day of the season and see 5 small deer hanging and 3 of them are button bucks.
And I have heard it said on this site if its brown its down.
Those type of hunters need a good kick in the balls.
I am all for the harvest of DOES but many button bucks will fall to the ground on sept. 18th.
Yes bow hunter do take button bucks also. but ur numbers are lower for we do get to take a better look before the shot.
I would of also like to see the youth hunt before the Anterless hunt.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it was in response to these harsh words. Neither one of wich were necessary.

I used that wording because we have all been out during the Regular Firearm Deer Season and heard someone unload there gun on something just to find out they missed on every shot. We also all know how many deer are taken after the first few days.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Youth that are old enough to use a firearm (Over 12) get back to back weekends. Kids 10 and 11 only get the Youth Hunt.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Youth that are old enough to use a firearm (Over 12) get back to back weekends. Kids 10 and 11 only get the Youth Hunt.
Not true. A 10 or 11 year can hunt the early antlerless season with a bow. So long as they have a valid antlerless liscense.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Not true. A 10 or 11 year can hunt the early antlerless season with a bow. So long as they have a valid antlerless liscense.

Really. I just read it again and my bad.
I see she has to have an Antlerless Permit and cannot use her Archery Tag, she'll be happy unless one of the 8's show up and I have to hold her down.

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
Makes me sick when you drive by a guys place the second day of the season and see 5 small deer hanging and 3 of them are button bucks.
And I have heard it said on this site if its brown its down.
Those type of hunters need a good kick in the balls.
I am all for the harvest of DOES but many button bucks will fall to the ground on sept. 18th.
The purpose of the early antlerless hunt is population reduction. That's it. If some percentage of BBs has to be sacrificed to meet this goal then so be it. Removal of those deer helps contribute to the goal (although not as efficiently as taking a doe). Seems that the guy with 5 small deer hanging is doing his part, and the guy sitting out the season is the one who needs a swift kickinthenuts.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Keep that mind set of more bb than does being shot and we have not really done a thing to controll the population. For every button buck shot is one deer for everydoe shot is at least two deer to three deer for the next season missing.
So all hunters go out and make sure it is a doe you shot in september. this and only this will reduce the herd to a healthy herd.

·
Premium Member
6,354 Posts
I am loooking froward to it. Taking my boy (12) out for his first deer hunt during the early antlerless season. Then on the youth hunt I am taking my daughter (15) and her girlfriend up for the youth hunt weekend. They had a total blast together last year even though no deer were taken.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Part of the arguement of the early doe season was that it's easier to tell the difference between button bucks and does. That way people would shoot does instead of button bucks. Fawns are barely out of thier spots in September, anyone shooting button bucks needs two kicks to the lower region.:mad:

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Part of the arguement of the early doe season was that it's easier to tell the difference between button bucks and does. That way people would shoot does instead of button bucks. Fawns are barely out of thier spots in September, anyone shooting button bucks needs two kicks to the lower region.:mad:
That point never even crossed my mind (still having spots) which makes alot more sense. I have a fawn though thats spots are barely noticable right now.

·
Premium Member
31,057 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,057 Posts

Not as many as do in the late antlerless as a percentage.
The early season will pose a distinct contrast in size between does and fawns and I would be suprised if some one targeted a fawn over a doe in September. Of course veal IS the best eatin!:D

Big T

·
Premium Member
5,604 Posts
I'm not convinced it is going to be a big deal but we'll see. If we get cool weather there will be more hunters out. I have a daughter who I plan to hunt the youth hunt with as well. My plan is to hunt one spot with her and my 17 year old son for the doe hunt and another with her for the youth hunt. I'm interested to see how effective the hunt is. I'm very careful when taking antlerless deer to never shoot one I'm not sure is a doe. I think by having it early it will reduce the number of BB's taken as it's much easier to identify fawns now than in December for the average hunter. Certainly some will be killed but I really don't see it having more of a negative impact than the system we've been using. I'm really interested in how it may affect buck hunting during the rut. In theory fewer does should result in increased competition amoung bucks leading to increased movement.

·
Premium Member
31,057 Posts
This is what I see happening. All the mentors will go out with the youth during the EAS and shoot all the big bucks I have worked so hard to grow. Then they'll hide those bucks until the following Saturday of the youth opener and have their pupils tag the bucks and pose for the pictures.
While they're at it they'll probably teach the pupils how to hide bait so it's not detected by fellow hunters or COs.

Big T

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
It is legal, correct? If a guy wants to go out and shoot 5 BB's in 5 days then he should be able to (as long as it's legal). I'm sure they're all trophies in his eyes.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts