Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was reading a post from last week and had a question. when you guys say "boil" them, what part of the process is that. i think i was doing it wrong. do you boil them before you dye them with the rust on them?

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
you boil them.... let them rust a bit... you can enhance this a bit with vinegar if you would like to make it go faster... then you dye them... then you wax them.....depending on type of trap..

and if they are brand new you can degrease them first so to get all the stuff off of them so they take the rusting process better...

hope this helps

·
Registered
26,738 Posts
Boil them to get the new oil and grease off. You can power wash them first, to cut the biggest share off. You can also just put them in hot water with dish soap to cut the grease and oil. After you are sure they are clean, if they are new traps, I'd just wax them. Rusting and dyeing new traps is a wate of time IMO. Eventually they'll rust and then you can dye them. Sumac, walnut husks, or Maple bark are all good natural dyes.

Best of luck this season

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
To get that 'factory' oil off just run them in the dishwasher. Better not do it with dishes. You might be in trouble.

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
Or use a power washer.

Look into www.traps4kids.com They'll show you what to do. Not kidding and I'm not trying to make fun of you....they've helped me a time or two.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that trap4kids is a cool website, very specific on things, great for me, a beginner. i read they boil the dye and let them sit for 45 minutes, i think this is what i am doing wrong??

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
If you're going to wax too, do so when the traps are completly dry...no water at all. This could cause a "boil over" which is not good with wax. Wax is flammable and the temperature needs to be watched also. Don't wax conibears though. Wax is mainly used for land trapping K9's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts