Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend just called and wants to go to the Dominican on an all inclusive, leaving next Tues. A bunch of friends are going, they started planning the trip before I even started dating her. That means I would miss opening day of duck.
Regardless of the $$$, time off and the fact I leave for ND the next week, what can I do?
I already warned her about sacred days that I won't give up for anything, the duck opener being one them. Now she drops this on me. :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Opening day comes but once a year......you can always get another girlfriend.:D

·
Registered
742 Posts
Keyword here is GIRLFRIEND, and by the sound of it she hasnt been your girlfriend long, so I would tell her to go have a good time, you'll see her when she gets back. after all she knew that opening day was important to you. if she doesnt like it or wont take no for an answer, tough *****, she apparently wasnt worth missing an opening day over anyways. Theres plenty of fish in the sea!!

·
Premium Member
3,763 Posts
I guess duck hunting is better than sex. You guys are losing me on this one. Got 2 words for you that go along with the Dominican "Topless Beaches". Besides the people down there are so hurting for money that if you gave them $10 they'd let you shoot anything you wanted:D

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tgafish, have you been there? I don't know anyone that has, so I don't know what we'd be getting into. If it's just sitting on the beach, I'm duck hunting. But if the fishing any good or we can dive, it would be a tough call. It's a Sunscape all inclusive resort, but I don't know which one.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I spent a week there last winter at an all inclusive resort. No hunting, limited fishing at a premium cost, and topless beaches where 98% of them should not be (LOTS of large people)....I would say go duck hunting.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Does that mean I should talk to Jim and the boys and let them know they need a new crew member for opening day??? Did you get my message about Kathy???

·
Premium Member
3,763 Posts
idyl,
I was there 1 year ago. Thought it was better than Jamaica but not as good as some of the upscale islands. I thought it was a great value. Go onto Yahoo and search for "Debbie's dominican page" All the info you could ever want.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have pheasant and quail hunted in the Dominican Republic, two years ago. It is a little pricy to hunt, but my wife took me away from the two day January duck hunt, so she had to pay it. :D It was first class all the way; a guide, two bearers, the resort chef for the sandwich break (With beer and mixed drinks if you wanted. I stuck with soda.) and the chef to take and prepare the birds for dinner. It was a good time. And then there is that sex thing too!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Seein' as though duck season only gets better as it goes along..........

If you think she's the one, go with her, but make it clear that this is not to happen again in the future. Family trips and sudoHoneymoons are to be planned around the migration.

If you are not sure if she's the one, SHE'S NOT!!!! MOVE ON AND GO HUNTING!!!!:D

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Well lets look at this with logic !
1. She is only your GIRLFRIEND
2. You have warned her already about sacred days.
3. This was already being planned before you two met !
4. If you think this might be the one ? Then this would be a good time for a test. For you and her. This is what you do In Oct.
and it's important to you.
5. And find out who's going to wear the pants in the family.
IMHO I would go hunting for the above reasons, as your plans were made before you guys met also ! So wish her well and hope she has a good time.

·
Registered
20,121 Posts
Seniorita's & Margarita's !!!! Come On!!! This is a "no- brainer"!! Hit the beach, bro! Can you imagine "how" greatful, she'll be;) I have a feeling it might be better than "make- up" sex! ;) ;)

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you, gentlemen, for the sound advice. Valid points made by all. I just broke the news to her that I'm not going on the trip. During a commercial break in Friends, of course.
The clincher: sitting in the marsh thinking about drinking on the beach I can handle.
Drinking on the beach, thinking about all my buddies camping out, missing the opening morning sunrise in the blind would drive me insane.

Another factor was one of the other guys canceled his annual trip to Saskatchewan to go. I didn't want to be the next to succumb to the forces of evil.

I like her and have known her long enough that it may work, but it is more complicated than that. She has 2 kids. I'm 36, never been married and don't know if I really want to. Yeah, the sex thing would be great, but what about 3 seconds after you're done? Talk about wanting to chew your arm off. All I'd be thinking about was how I got screwed into going on this trip. I should be excited to go, not feel like I'm giving in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts