Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in China now and the food is most unusual. Nothing goes to waste here, these are a few items from our menu last night.
  • Duck Lips
  • Chicken finger nails
  • Ox genitals
  • Beef *****
  • Various intestants
So what's the strangest thing you ever ate?

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK not sure if China edited that fourth item above or this site did but it was the biological name for the male organ.

Like I may have mentioned before the goverment here does keep a watchful eye.

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
Gotta love the chicken feet with the toenails, kinda crispy like potato chips! :lol: Let's see, when I was in China we had those as well as baked pigeon (the entire pigeon including head, feet and entrails) Snake that had been pickled in some kind of liquor and something that I am pretty sure had meowed during it's lifetime. It got to the point where I stopped asking, figuring ignorance was bliss. It was pretty amazing taking a walk through the open air markets in some of the larger cities, where you would see cages full of chickens and cats, literally hundreds crammed into cages so tight they could barely move, tubs full of turtles, eels, snakes and various other crawly things, big bowls full of meal worms and other insects that were sold by the pound (adds a crunchy texture to stir frys) and various other fauna. It was best just to block out mental pictures of that market when sitting down to eat. ;)

I will say that I found the food over in China to be much different from what we commonly think of as "Chinese food" but that for the most part I found it to be very good. Just keep an open mind and wash it down with lots of "local beer", which was also pretty good most of the time.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Chicken feet eh? I once was in deep Mexico staying with a family for two weeks, the lady of the house was trying to give us the weeks menu for the evening dinners in her best English, and I was dumb enough to ask for Burritos, and they all laughed and told me that they do not eat baby burros.:dizzy:
I thought, "Stupid Americans!"
One meal I remember was butterfly pork chops cut almost cardboard thin, cooked in a soup of Zucchini flowers and stalks. Kind of like a green grass looking soup, tasted very good. Our last meal that we ate just before we came home was brought in by an old Inka Indian woman, authentic tamollies. Everyone of us that afternoon got instant craps from that meal, we were all sick on the plane ride home, and several of us had the Hersey squirts for two weeks, even when on antibiotics.

·
Registered
876 Posts
This is why we shouldn't be surprised when China pays a premium for American poachers to sell them bear gallbladers and velvet antlers.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gotta love the chicken feet with the toenails, kinda crispy like potato chips! :lol: Let's see, when I was in China we had those as well as baked pigeon (the entire pigeon including head, feet and entrails) Snake that had been pickled in some kind of liquor and something that I am pretty sure had meowed during it's lifetime. It got to the point where I stopped asking, figuring ignorance was bliss. It was pretty amazing taking a walk through the open air markets in some of the larger cities, where you would see cages full of chickens and cats, literally hundreds crammed into cages so tight they could barely move, tubs full of turtles, eels, snakes and various other crawly things, big bowls full of meal worms and other insects that were sold by the pound (adds a crunchy texture to stir frys) and various other fauna. It was best just to block out mental pictures of that market when sitting down to eat. ;)

I will say that I found the food over in China to be much different from what we commonly think of as "Chinese food" but that for the most part I found it to be very good. Just keep an open mind and wash it down with lots of "local beer", which was also pretty good most of the time.
Yes the local beer is good...........you sound alot move adventerous then I, after seeing a street vender lay raw meat on the sidewalk (oh ya everybody spits on the sidewalk men, women, and childern in fact cars drive down the sidewalk too but that's another story)then cook and sell it to an unsupecting passerby I have been trying to play it safe.:yikes:

·
Registered
931 Posts
So have you used the porta potties yet speaking of sidewalks?

My wierdest thing isn't all that wierd. I ate at a chinese restaurant once. Come to find out, a week after I ate there (and got kicked out for being there too long) it got closed down for serving cat and dog.

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
I will say that I found the food over in China to be much different from what we commonly think of as "Chinese food" .....
Because most of what we think of as "Chinese food" over here was invented over here. That has been the subject of several food related programs on the History and Food channels. Recipes and menus developed to appeal to the tastes of immigrants from other countries who settled here back in the 1870s or after.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts