Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question for the duck hunting veterans. How in the world dose someone go about duck hunting in an area like this? Most of the water is less then two feet and I’m sure if one were to step into this they would shoot straight to hell. Now I know their must be a way but what?:confused:

:confused:

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Well, looks like a job for the go-devil. And as long as you have 8" of water she'll go through it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
lawn boy, are you from wyandotte?

I have heard those levels are going to stay down in those units. I see lots of guys bike in with little kiddy trailers filled with decoys. I am going to use my canoe down there.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
looks like the Feather Bed Marsh we hunted it for years with a 16' boat. We used duck foot poles, oars and a whole lot of elbow grease.
Where theres a will..theres a way.....

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
hey Trout, did you build that boat yourself? Could a dog work out of it with you? how many people will fit in it?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Looks like Pte Mouille to me,
I can almost make out the dump in the background off of west Jefferson in the fist pic. And the second is the north pull over into the vermet unit.

Anyways, if it is, the best and easiest way is to just bike in.

The DNR will pump in some water before season but it has'nt been enough the past few years.

So unless you have a Go-Devil/canoe/ or push poll rig you'll be be doing a lot of pulling your boat through.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Never mind how you get in, or what you hunt out of. The BIGGEST problem you will have is finding and retrieving birds in that kind of habitat. In my younger days, I used to hunt similar areas with some success. If the bottom is firm, walking slowly and jump shooting works well. Otherwise, a canoe is good. But again, I'm getting way too old for that. I hunted beaver ponds up north for years with similar habitat except a lot more snags and downed trees. Again finding a bird once you drop it is a royal pain in the A$$! Unless you have a top notch retriever, or you like to shoot birds on the water when they land, you'll likely cripple and lose more than you collect. I got tired of tearing brand new waders and losing cripples, so I pretty much quit that type of hunting. A great retriever would be my best advice.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Originally posted by lwingwatcher
ditto to what just ducky said...
I'll third that! That's my dogs stomping grounds. Although I don't hunt that area much, I have grown up here and train my dog there. The water is not a shallow as you might think in many spots. You just gotta know where to go. As someone above mentioned, they will add water. Do be carefull in there. Some spots are nice solid bottom and others will suck you in and hold you. I learned the hard way in one spot about 5 yrs ago. I threw the decoys from where I was standing, because I could see bottom. Well, when it was time to pic up, I had to leave a few decoys behind, because I never would have got out and I was there alone.:)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had hunted an area like that, a few years back. I am young and in pretty good shape and well I had trouble get around and a few times I got myself stuck pretty good, luckly I wasn't to far from the edge of the dike and got close enough to climb my way out. If you do decide to hunt that area be careful as looks are deciving and one spot can be a lot different that another.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I got tired (exausted) more than once in an area like this. A few years ago I picked up a float tube. Helps navigation but you still need to drag your birds out of the 'bush'.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts