Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a scale size duck cutout or template to make a cut out in order to train myself to the size of the ducks at a different distances. Does anyone have one of those wall prints that are to scale. I'm just looking for an outline to make cutouts from. Anyone have anything like that that might work?

·
Banned
3,032 Posts
No but they look way bigger in real life lol. I like the idea but keep in mind sometimes the look hugeee. Try ur idea but the best advice, don't pull up to shoot till u think they r going to bail. To many guys get excited or impatient and shoot early on long birds

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
I've made silouettes before for our youth day activities so they can guess distances. I just took a picture from an ID book I had, blew it up, and copied it to a thin piece of plywood.

Take a look at these pics on the DNR's website, and you could probably cut/paste, then blow them up and do the same?

http://michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10363_10859_32209-31180--,00.html

·
Super Moderator
3,766 Posts
Don't put your decoys out more then 30-40 yards, take em when they are over the decoys.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Banned
3,032 Posts
Don't put your decoys out more then 30-40 yards, take em when they are over the decoys.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Most of ours are only 20-30 out and i agree with ur advice but when ur new it can still be a challenge knowing if they r in the decoys

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
the best is taking a new hunter out....having ducks work the decoys all morning and shooting a few. then about 9am geese start flying and work into the spread. the new hunter will have his gun shouldered when the bird is at 80yrds out. :p

·
Banned
3,032 Posts
the best is taking a new hunter out....having ducks work the decoys all morning and shooting a few. then about 9am geese start flying and work into the spread. the new hunter will have his gun shouldered when the bird is at 80yrds out. :p
Lol yep or at the draw with seasoned guys and a goose pops in and 30 parties are calling and one group starts hammering on it 80 yards out.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Yeah...Or you spend all day looking at geese & big ducks, then get buzzed by teal...you'll swear they were going twice as fast as they actually are.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I understand the advice about knowing the set distances of know decoys but i have situations where the ducks decide not to land and i am doing pass shooting. I only have decoys in front of me and it does not help if i am shooting to my left or right as they fly past my island.
The first ducks i have ever fly into a spread and had the pleasure of shooting at was wood ducks. When they came flying in before dawns early light my eyes were in the sky looking for the fighter jets that just passed over head. It was not until i saw the woodies swimming back to my spread did i relies what i had heard were ducks and that i was over my head! Got two ducks that day, and that was only because i ran out of shells; stupid me only brought on box of 25. lol

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
I understand the advice about knowing the set distances of know decoys but i have situations where the ducks decide not to land and i am doing pass shooting. I only have decoys in front of me and it does not help if i am shooting to my left or right as they fly past my island.
The first ducks i have ever fly into a spread and had the pleasure of shooting at was wood ducks. When they came flying in before dawns early light my eyes were in the sky looking for the fighter jets that just passed over head. It was not until i saw the woodies swimming back to my spread did i relies what i had heard were ducks and that i was over my head! Got two ducks that day, and that was only because i ran out of shells; stupid me only brought on box of 25. lol
a good judgement for woodies is tree tops. if they are above the trees, they too far.

·
Banned
3,032 Posts
I'd say learning to judge distance is a good plan if u were 2-25 lol. I think I've had days like that water swatting crippled divers lol. I'm guessing ur not that bad of a shot but are just misjudging your range. Also if ur pass shooting I'd guess your behind em. Where abouts r u at sound like u could use someone to take u along n help u learn to judge em. You could go to a Marsh n figure out distances with a range finder and try n judge birds too.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am in the Hillman area. Up between Alpena and Gaylord. If you are interested in giving some advice a am eager to learn!

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Cant tell you how many times i sat up with saftey off in the layout boat to only realize the ducks still hadnt reached my last decoy. They do look bigger and closer than the sometimes actually are. I like when there close enough i think i could hit them with my barrell. I rarely ever shoot ducks past 25 yards. Some say it even takes more skill to decoy and kill witin 10 to 20 yards. Half the shows i watch on tv look like tree top or sky bustin to me. I like my up close and personal. If you can hitt em out far more power to ya. I know i would be wasting ammo.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
My mantra is; If their still coming in, let em keep coming. IF they want to lite, letem!

I try to set a decoy or two out to the effective range say 35-40 yards. That way if the birds are inside these decoys they are in range and killable. It helps to judge the distance if you need to.

I find that newer hunters or people who haven't hunted honkers much, seem to ALWAYS misjudge the yardage at first. The birds are so much bigger it looks like they are on top of you, when is all reality they are still > 50 yards out.

"DON'T FREAKIN POP YOUR HEAD OUTA THAT BLIND UNTIL YOU HEAR ME SAY KILL EM"!!!!! :lol:

Good luck
Smoke

1 - 15 of 15 Posts