Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got some calls as well as a stack of DVDs etc to learn from but am having a bit of trouble getting the same sounds, at least that's what I think. Looking for some personal instruction of some sort as I REALLY don't want to develop a bad habit trying to teach myself. Anyone willing to help or point me in the direction of someone? Don't mind paying for some classes I just want to learn correctly

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Mike you were at a guys house a few weeks ago that give private lessons all the time. You should of said something. Give me a call and I'll help you out. I think you still have my number.
Smoke aka Todd Alofs

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
The best way to learn is to go where there are a lot of live ducks and listen to the sounds they make.
And keep practicing.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually have a place by one of my businesses that has probably 1000 mallards minimum right now where I can do that. I just also wanna make sure I have the basic technique down so when I practice I'm actually improving rather than solidifying incorrect sounds.

I'll give you a call smoke

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
The best way to learn is to go where there are a lot of live ducks and listen to the sounds they make.
And keep practicing.
I agree once you've got the true basics of call operation down. If you can't operate a call properly I don't care if you listen to live ducks all day, it does no good if you can't make the desired sounds from the call.

I'll help you out Mike. It's on the house.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree once you've got the true basics of call operation down. If you can't operate a call properly I don't care if you listen to live ducks all day, it does no good if you can't make the desired sounds from the call.
My thoughts exactly. Ill have to get with you to get a start and practice practice practice then hopefully about the time the ice melts ill have a prodigy to cruise with you guys and see if the practice paid off :)

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
My thoughts exactly. Ill have to get with you to get a start and practice practice practice then hopefully about the time the ice melts ill have a prodigy to cruise with you guys and see if the practice paid off :)
Right on!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
And keep practicing.
This. After you watch those DVDs, and learn ten ten ten, go to a local neighborhood pond if you have one nearby and just listen to em.

I like to sneak up and hide somewhere that they don't pick me up and after a while of listening start making some feed calls back at em or hail calls when new birds are flying over and see how they respond.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
And keep practicing.
I'll x3 this. It's as realistic as it gets, and it's a fun thing to do in the off season. Plus it gives you an opportunity to observe their behavior in other respects, and even scout out where they're loafing, etc. There's something I find extremely humorous about mallard hen calls. When I'm out boating and relaxing and hear a hen quaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak quaaak quaaak quaaak it never ceases to get a solid laugh out of me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts