Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Dual planer board release for small fish?

618 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Tim59
I bought a dual planer board setup to fish for Kokanee. I live in Washington state and virtually no one runs them. I am in love with mine except for one thing. Some of the Kokanee are big enough to release from the clip but most are not, or if I need to check my bait I have a hard time pulling the line out of the clip. It just pulls the release back up the line without releasing it. I have set the clip at the lightest I can without it false tripping. The rods we use have very little backbone because of the soft mouths of the Kokanee and are used like a shock absorber. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Try using light rubber bands half-hitched on the line and put the band i the clip.
Reactions: Tim59
I started running 20lb mono for main line and then the last 30 ft leader down. The 20lb seems to release better from the clip.
Thanks toepincher, I have a reel on another rod that has 20#, I will put it on one of my Kokanee rods and see if it helps.
I started running 20lb mono for main line and then the last 30 ft leader down. The 20lb seems to release better from the clip.
Reactions: toepincher
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.